Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: DME Etiquette Question

Quote Originally Posted by Locke30 View Post
    My FSH is currently 18" I wouldn't want to go more than 20"
    Quote Originally Posted by Locke30 View Post
    I was measuring from the top of the tubing/bottom of the nylon seat
    Then we'll examine a TiLite specified RSH of 20” (we can change later if you wish).

To recap, so far we have. . .

1. 16x16 seat (to my knowledge, TiLite doesn't offer 1/2 increment seat widths).
    2. titanium footrest with flat ABS cover.
    3. 25” wheels.
    4. 20” FSH.

With a 20” FSH, these are your potential choices for RSH as I see them:
    Attachment 41731

Please examine these options, and choose a balance between dump and finger-tip height. If I were choosing for me, my thought process would be as follows:

Any dump shallower than 2” needs a seat belt, and a 2” dump puts my finger tips well below my axles. (I know you've been pushing even lower for a long time, but I think being too low for an extended time will prematurely damage your shoulders, but feel free to override me if you like.)

So, since both 0” & 1” dump warrant a seat belt, and I have good trunk control, I'd choose 0”. And, to keep my finger tips as near the axles as possible, I'd choose solid cushion support.

Thus, with a 20" FSH (which is quite tall) I'd choose a 20” spec RSH, a seat belt, and solid cushion support, which will put my finger tips at 12”, which is perfect for a 24” wheel, and near perfect for a 25” wheel.

If you decide a 20” FSH is too high, then we can lower everything accordingly. Something else you may wish to consider when choosing a seat height is the height of things from/to which you typically transfer.

PS: knee clearance under tables/desks remains an issue with a 20" FSH (22" effective seat height). You might want to put some thick books on your Spazz under your cushion to temporarily simulate this height just to check it out.
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

illinois, and no, chicago is not anywhere near where i live
    being 5-5, how long are your legs? do you know your FSH to footrest? chair will be awkward with foot plate high off ground. I'm 5-4 and I have 14" seat to footrest on a 18"RSH and that puts footplate 5"off ground, it would bve really strange at 7" off ground.

It looks like 14" seat to footrest and 5" off the ground as well.

I really don't see myself ever using a seatbelt, so I think I would need to stick with 20" FSH and 18" RSH.

OK, 20 FSH and 18 RSH.

I may be too busy to reply again for a few days, but I'll be back as soon as I can. Next we'll work on the front angle.
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

My DME appt is thursday so whatever I have undecided will get figured out then. Pretty sure I'm gonna go with 85 degree front angle. Thanks for your help!

85o is good, don't go any longer as it makes the chair that much longer.

I'm kind of questioning the 5"off the ground for a footrest. That's pretty high. I'm 6'2" and use a 20" fsh. Normally, 2 1/2 to 3" from footrest to ground is plenty. 20" is going to really make your transfers that much more difficult as you won't be able to place your feet on the ground to pivot.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Madsen View Post
    85o is good, don't go any longer as it makes the chair that much longer.

I'm kind of questioning the 5"off the ground for a footrest. That's pretty high. I'm 6'2" and use a 20" fsh. Normally, 2 1/2 to 3" from footrest to ground is plenty. 20" is going to really make your transfers that much more difficult as you won't be able to place your feet on the ground to pivot.
    Patrick, his arms are long. He currently has 16" RSH and his palms are at his axles. And I suggested he have at least 2" dump to avoid needing a seat belt, so I led him toward such a high ground clearance. Am I way off base? He rarely tries to stand.
    Last edited by chasmengr; 08-23-2011 at 01:54 AM.
    Chas
    TiLite TR3

<
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Locke30, several quick comment about tippiness:

You're relatively light and so high (18RSH&20FSH) in a relatively narrow chair, you'll want at least 4 degrees of camber, maybe even 6 to reduce your chances of tipping sideways while turning at speed. (I weigh 210, have a RSH of 14.5, a 17" wide seat, and I can easily lift a wheel off the ground when turning while coasting quickly with my 4 degrees of camber.)

Also with an 85-degree front on this tall chair, you'll have a relatively short wheelbase (prone to endos when you hit an obstacle), so you'll want larger (5-6") casters with soft-roll tires, and maybe even Frog Legs suspension forks.
    Last edited by chasmengr; 08-23-2011 at 01:52 AM.
    Chas
    TiLite TR3

<
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

You are pretty much there Chas, great specing out a chair.

My thinking is with a 7 inch space from the footrest to the ground makes it fairly dangerous in case he flips forward. He could always add a highmount footrest to lower the footrest to a safe distance and the highmount would raise the footrest to his leg length.

Being a very low level Spina Bifada, I wonder if he fsh and rsh could be one inch difference? I normally would think two inch dump also, but he has a lot of years in a chair and good balance.

I would double check with Tilite before giving the okay to your dme. Have you decided on the ZRA? Be aware the tubing is bigger. I took the Tr in that it is lighter, a box frame and has a more stylish smaller tubing.

Good idea on a bigger front wheel. I really like my 5x1.5 softrolls. They aren't available thru tIlite so I ordered their regular 5x poly wheel and changed them out. I also changed out the brakes to the old style Quickie scissor lock.

Dang Chas, you did a much better job than any dme I have met yet.

Patrick, while you were responding, I corrected an error - his current RSH is 16" (not 18"), and his palms are at his axles. So we are raising his chair 2" for better propulsion; but, yes, that presents clearance issues. Do you think he'd be alright without a seat belt in a 1"-dump chair (18RSH & 19FSH)?

Thanks for the complement. I'm not watching the clock like DME tech's, and I went through this whole process for myself recently. Nearly everything I've learned about chairs, I've learned from you guys here on CCC.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Madsen View Post
    My thinking is with a 7 inch space from the footrest to the ground makes it fairly dangerous in case he flips forward. He could always add a highmount footrest to lower the footrest to a safe distance and the highmount would raise the footrest to his leg length.
    Great idea!! The caster mounts do need somewhere to attach.
    Last edited by chasmengr; 08-23-2011 at 02:11 AM.
    Chas
    TiLite TR3

<
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>