Thread: Mazda5 with a Car Topper?

Mazda5 with a Car Topper?

Hi!

We are looking at a 2012 Mazda 5. I drive and thought it would be ok for me to pull the seat all the way forward and put my folding chair behind the driver's seat. However, I'm worried now that it will be a bit rough on the shoulders.

Anybody know if the roof of the Mazda5 is wide enough to accommodate a car topper like this one?

http://www.braunability.com/chair-topper.cfm

Appreciate!!!!

this is what I use - http://www.adapt-solutions.ca/products/index.php?prd=5

works like a dream. Pulls my chair in for me, saves my shoulders/wardrobe/upholstery/chair from wear and tear. LOVE my 5 with this setup.

Thanks!

Thanks for the idea. Are the other 3 seats in the back of the Mazda5 still useable with that lift?

Quote Originally Posted by jtemple4 View Post
    Thanks for the idea. Are the other 3 seats in the back of the Mazda5 still useable with that lift?
    yeah, but the back 2 are not for full-sized people. Also, the middle-row right-side seat does become partially obstructed by the right wheel of your chair.. depending on your size it is a tight fit- ie. chair width and driver height. I bought the top of the line 2007 and it doesn't have power seats. I'm 6-foot and my first chair was 18-inch wide. It was a snug fit, but worked. Now I use a 15-inch wide chair, I moved the driver seat back a bit and it is a very easy procedure. I also use the XL-Board that they make as well.. for the winters here it is a easy, safe, clean operation.

Lots of wheelers just shake their head when they see my setup because it is so seamless. Most quads that transfer independently could master it easily. One bad thing - the rear sliding doors are not power-activated, I built a hook out of a length of rod to catch and release the interior door handle and it slides shut easily. Most were built with a small actuator that latches the door when it is close to being shut.

BTW - I have inspected the interior of the new 2012's and think the parts will still bolt-in directly. Seems Mazda only changed the exterior body-lines.

I have the same set up as Tooley. Works great. Agree with the back seat - it's strictly kids territory. I scrunched up an adult in there once - it was pretty funny.