Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Heart Rate and viral sepsis

Heart Rate and viral sepsis

Hi all,

I had a cold a couple of weeks ago and then on Wednesday night, I was at work and started to feel like I couldn't breath so I went to the ER. The gave me 2 bags of saline and did some blood tests and chest xray. Those came back clean. I had a heart ate of 140 when I went in. It came down to 102 after some fluid and they told me they thought I had viral sepsis.

Does this mean I should quit drinking coffee and pop? Like, am I going to have issues?

I think you misunderstood.

Sepsis means your blood is infected. If you have sepsis (no matter what the cause), your blood tests would not come back "clean" and you'd be admitted for treatment of this very serious condition. Sepsis has nothing to do with the use of caffeine.
    It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who are willing to endure pain with patience.

~Julius Caesar

Quote Originally Posted by thehipcrip View Post
    I think you misunderstood.

Sepsis means your blood is infected. If you have sepsis (no matter what the cause), your blood tests would not come back "clean" and you'd be admitted for treatment of this very serious condition. Sepsis has nothing to do with the use of caffeine.
    If it is viral sepsis, they can't do anything for you. They just sent me home....

I know the sepsis has nothing to with caffine, but my HR was way up (I think due to fever/stress/sickness.... once I get better, will it hurt me to drink coffee?

Heart Rate and Caffeine.

I posted this yesterday, but, I don't think I was clear so I apologize. I went to the ER Wednesday night because I felt like I couldn't breathe. When I got there my heart rate was at 140 and they seem to think it was because of a virus. I know that caffeine may not have had anything to do with it (I have a cup a day and this day was no exception. Although, I spread it through my 7 hour shift... I don't just down it). Is coffee going to hurt me I guess is what I am asking? I do need to drink more water, too. But should I be ok with one cup a day?

WG

What made them think you have a virus? Did you have a fever? A cough? Viral infections are not diagnosed by a culture generally, although viral cultures for some infections are possible (such as swine flu). If you had a true viral sepsis, you would have been critically ill and hospitalized.

I am not clear what you think the connection is between this and caffeine. A high pulse can come from dehydration or bleeding, or from having an infection, among other causes. Caffeine is implicated in some types of arrythmias, primarily PVCs (extra beats) which would appear as an irregular pulse or can be seen on an EKG, but rarely is the cause of tachycardia except in high doses.

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    What made them think you have a virus? Did you have a fever? A cough? Viral infections are not diagnosed by a culture generally, although viral cultures for some infections are possible (such as swine flu). If you had a true viral sepsis, you would have been critically ill and hospitalized.

I am not clear what you think the connection is between this and caffeine. A high pulse can come from dehydration or bleeding, or from having an infection, among other causes. Caffeine is implicated in some types of arrythmias, primarily PVCs (extra beats) which would appear as an irregular pulse or can be seen on an EKG, but rarely is the cause of tachycardia except in high doses.

(KLD)
    The doctor seemed to think I had a virus because nothing came back in the blood tests or urinalysis I did have a slight fever which they thought was due to a stress response. I didn't have a cough to begin with although as the night progressed, I seemed to start feeling worse and get one, I didn't actually know if there was a connection between caffeine and fast HR. I was just really worried I should quit drinking/eating anything containing caffeine.

My doctor gave me like 3 different diagnoses. She told me an anxiety attack (which would make sense, truth be told) then she said viral sepsis, then she gave me antibiotics "just in case" because I'm not as mobile and sent me home.....

My diagnosis is: blond and a bigger caffeine addict than I am

Quote Originally Posted by Van Quad View Post
    My diagnosis is: blond and a bigger caffeine addict than I am
    Gee thanks for that I'm just gonna come right out and say, it was my mom how told me I should quit the coffee.

Jessica, I doubt one cup of coffee is going to hurt you. If anything, it will help(caffination) with stimulation the kidneys. Not sure how much water you are drinking. I think it's like 8 glasses of 8oz. I kind of push the water in the morning by drinking 4 cups and my big mug of EarlGrey caffinated tea.

YOu're doing the right stuff from what I read. Hope it all gets better quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Madsen View Post
    Jessica, I doubt one cup of coffee is going to hurt you. If anything, it will help(caffination) with stimulation the kidneys. Not sure how much water you are drinking. I think it's like 8 glasses of 8oz. I kind of push the water in the morning by drinking 4 cups and my big mug of EarlGrey caffinated tea.

YOu're doing the right stuff from what I read. Hope it all gets better quickly.
    Thanks Patrick. I do seem to be feeling the closest to myself that I have since Wednesday