Thread: Where do we start

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Where do we start

My niece was shot 2x in the chest in a robbery attempt in Chicago. One bullet severed her spinal cord. She is paralyzed from the chest down. She has 4 kids that we are now caring for here in Tennessee. We have to get her transported down here so we can reunite the family. Where is god starting point for financial assistance?

Hello "Fay,"
    Very sorry to hear about your niece. This is a terrible tragedy and going to be difficult for all of you. She and her family are lucky that you have the will and compassion to help her with all that she is facing.

Has your niece gone through a formal spinal cord rehabilitation program? If not, it is essential that she finds and attends a rehabilitation center that will help her learn about her injury, how to care for herself, and maximize the potential she has given her level of injury. Many of these rehabilitation centers and hospitals have social workers who can help direct her through a maze of financial assistance programs that may be available to her.

Does she have any medical or disability insurance from an employer? There are state and federal government assistance programs for which she may qualify. Social Security and state offices of disability can explain their programs, application procedures and requirements. She may be eligible for Medicare/Medicaid benefits, and again you will need to contact these agencies for complete details.

There are many people in the Care Cure Community who have a great deal of experience in this area and I'm sure you will be getting some good information from others here.

All the best,
    "GJ"

H Fay - I'm up here Canada so I'll let those in the know answer your question. I think you'll get more of a response here in New Sci - I'm so sorry you had to find us but really glad you did ! I wish you and your family all the best !

Obieone
    ~ Be the change you wish to see in the world ~ Mahatma Gandi

" calling all Angels ...... calling all Angels ....walk me through this one .. don't leave me alone .... calling all Angels .... calling all Angels .... we're tryin' and we're hopin' cause we're not sure how ....... this .... goes ..."
    Jane Siberry

Unfortunately Tennessee is currently one of the worst states in the USA for the quality if its Medicaid program. Is she a legal resident of TN or of IL? She would have to be sure that she has established residency in the appropriate state in order to apply for Medicaid, and it may not be easy to be approved, even with her SCI.

Was she eligible for any victims assistance money in IL? Usually it is not a lot, but may help some. There are some humantarian charity organizations that may help with transportation to your location, but it is not easy to get approval for this except to go to a specific health care facility if you are some place where that type of care is not available. If she has completed rehab, she should be able to travel that distance by car, bus or train. Flying is also possible and may be actually cheaper than those other methods. Someone (a family member or friend) would probably need to travel with her though.

Where is she now? Still in the acute care hospital? In acute rehab (hopefully at RIC or the Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago, which is a leading SCI center), or at a nursing home or living in a house or apartment? How long ago was her injury?

(KLD)

I am in TN. It is next to impossible to get on Medicaid and our waiting list for homemaker services is nearly 3 years long. She can get Medicaid if she gets SSI and that is the only way. Even if her income is only 700, no Medicaid. Please PM me if you want to share details. I used to work on an ambulance and do have some connections for possible transport if that is necessary, but it is unlikely.
    Is she at RIC? KLD had good questions.
    Also is your home ready for her or will she be going elsewhere? UCP builds ramps, but even that takes about a year to process. Good luck.
    Last edited by addiesue; 08-20-2011 at 12:22 AM.
    If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.

Sometimes it is easier to widen doors than it is to open minds.

single mother with children qualify for medicaid in tn.........always has......if she is single, as far as travel, no info u give, what level of injury, why not drive and get her, she can ride in any car........if in hospital, do a hospital to hospital transfer? not enough info to do much help, sorry.......

http://www.coverageforall.org/states...h-coverage.htm

good place to start.....

tenncare is a whole different ballgame, i got quad friends that have been dropped from it, its a mess here....
    Last edited by airart1; 08-20-2011 at 07:32 AM.

I am a single mother with children. I do not qualify. A pregnant/nursing woman qualifies. A person on SSI qualifies. Children qualify, That is it.

TNCare is Medicaid, sorry to tell you that.

She can try for Access TN which reopened last year, but I understand they are behind up to a year on processing applications and are already out of funds. TN is a poor poor state when it comes to servicesfor anyone. I am a social worker for elderly and disabled. It has become an extremely depressing job.
    If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.

Sometimes it is easier to widen doors than it is to open minds.

Quote Originally Posted by Fay View Post
    My niece was shot 2x in the chest in a robbery attempt in Chicago. One bullet severed her spinal cord. She is paralyzed from the chest down. She has 4 kids that we are now caring for here in Tennessee. We have to get her transported down here so we can reunite the family. Where is god starting point for financial assistance?
    Give Angel Flight a call. They do quite a bit of charity flying.
    http://www.angelmedflight.com/medical-stories.html