Thread: Paralell bars help/ my own therapist/ need advice

Paralell bars help/ my own therapist/ need advice

Ok so I just got 12 foot long parallel bars in my house!I also got KAFO braces I am a T10 incomplete 8 months out/ i have gotten sensation all the way to both my feet, its not perfect but i can feel my legs and toes. . Tonight was the first time that I got up in the bars. I did therapy for 2 months 1 hour a week walking in parallel bars. (how great!) It was 5 months out from injury. Therapy said to just go home and live in wheel chair. ha! When I would try in therapy I was able to take steps (move hips) swing steps. But it would wear me out just going one time. Tonight it was different newer KAFO’s than therapy. I stood up and it was wonderful I could walk back and forth no pain, no getting too tired. I stood still and moved one leg front and back about 10 times, it seemed very easy to do it. I know it’s just my hips right now, but I am asking anyone if there is more I can do? What can I do?? I have 12 foot parallel bars sitting in my living room, with kafo braces. All I want to do is get in those braces and walk and walk. Is there a certain method or procedure I need to stick with? Any tips or ideas? I am now my on physical therapist and the more I know the better! The insurance is gone bye bye! I am 27 yrs old and I am working 2 jobs and also raising a 1 yr old little girl. And have been in wheelchair for eight months. Im not over stressed with any of it. God is wonderful! I just have to schedule my days out very smart. If I had a good plan for parallel training to add that would be great! My list of things that come first:
    1: God
    2: Daughter
    3: GETTING BACK ON MY FEET
    4: Jobs, Rest of world problems, etc…
    As I told both my bosses that therapy is more important than working right now. It doesn’t matter how much you pay me. If there is anyone here that can help me, I would be very thankful! God bless you all!!
    Last edited by pbryant22; 08-19-2011 at 12:17 AM.

My first suggestion would be to just get them on and stand. As you get more confident try to swing thru or whatever. Might be prudent to have someone around the first few times.

You can do a lot of exercizes using the bars. The main thing is to get standing in anyway you can. You need to be weight bearing as much as you can. It'll feel so good to stand. It one of my highlights still.

Don't you worry girl, there are plenty here are going to help.

You do have a full day PB. Welcome to the forum. We have a few young moms here.

Congratulations!!! You should be commended on your perseverance and determination. Many of us were told we would never walk again, but have worked hard to follow our hearts and vision to walk.

In my opinon, it would be wise to have someone assist you while you're within the bars. Despite how confident you are, safety comes first.

A few exercises my PT worked with me on within the bars were:

1)side stepping (strengthen hips) bend knees while stepping and drive yourself upward.(strengthens glutes)

2) with both hands on the bars, work towards raising knee toward bar
    (strengthen hip flexors and glutes)

3) stand, stand and stand some more. (weight bearing is very important) it improves everything from digestive system to preventing atrophy.

4) with both hands on the bars, squats strengthen quads, hamstrings and glutes and calves. Begin with a 35 degree squat as you raise yourself squeeze the gluts. Never bend your knees beyond view of your feet.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Madsen View Post
    My first suggestion would be to just get them on and stand. As you get more confident try to swing thru or whatever. Might be prudent to have someone around the first few times.

You can do a lot of exercizes using the bars. The main thing is to get standing in anyway you can. You need to be weight bearing as much as you can. It'll feel so good to stand. It one of my highlights still.

Don't you worry girl, there are plenty here are going to help.

You do have a full day PB. Welcome to the forum. We have a few young moms here.

Not YOUNG MOM, just and old boy. thanks though Patrick!

Sorry old man lol.

Woodland, CA, USA Old male, T12 incomplete TM 2004
    pb
    You are still withing your recovery stage so I don't know why your physical therapist isn't helping. Your determination is great. You might add "rubber bands". I am not sure where you get them; I got them from my PT. They are several feet long. You attach one end to a baseboard and then attach the other end to your foot and try to move your foot against the force of the rubber band. You can try any direction (especially the direction you are weakest). Also, after you are confident on the parallel bars, you might buy and try a walker. You can stand at a walker about the same way you stand at parallel bars but then when you feel strong enough (and with someone behind you with your chair in case you need to sit immediately) you can see if you can walk with a walker (of course your arms do most of the real work at first).

It sounds like you are doing great in you effort and outlook. Keep up the hard work - it will be worth it. Every muscle you can help bring back or make stronger will help you in the rest of your life.
    TM 2004 T12 incomplete

I also commend your hard work pb!!
    As a therapist, what I would recommend working on is your standing balance. I agree with everyone who is saying to stand more - standing is great for so many reasons! But I would add trying to balance with only one hand of support at a time, and then no hands if you can. This will work on your core strength as well as your body awareness.
    You can also do core strengthening exercises when you're not standing to improve your ability to balance in the bars.
    I think side stepping is a great idea - focusing on keeping the feet pointed forward toward the bar, not sideways where you're stepping. But it is hard because it's working the hip abductors which are small. Just a heads up to not get frustrated if that doesn't work at first. Keep working on it, and again try doing exercise outside the bars. These muscles help with balance as they get stronger
    Keep up the hard work!!