Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: rectal pain

rectal pain

I have a burning searing sensation in my ass. I just had a colonoscopy yesterday he said everything was in good shape. A month ago my urologists ran a scope up me & found 2 small kidney stones he took them out other than that everything is good. Can anybody tell me what is causing this god awful pain?

Hi "mrbreeze,"
    The pain you are experiencing after the colonoscopy may be air/gas trapped in the folds of the intestine. One of the things patients are told post colonoscopy is to try to keep moving to promote peristalsis that helps to expel the air/gas. That is tough to any spinal cord injured to do of course. But, it may help to keep turning from side to side rather than laying in just one position to encourage a good, healthy release of gas.

All the best,
    GJ

I have had this pain for 6 months or so that is why the tests were done to try & find out what is causing it. At 1st i thought my catheter was causing it but it's not.

rectal pain

I have a burning searing sensation in my rectum. I just had a colonoscopy yesterday he said everything was in good shape. A month ago my urologists ran a scope up me & found 2 small kidney stones he took them out other than that everything is good. Can anybody tell me what is causing this god awful pain? These test were do to try & find out what is causing this pain. It has been going on for 6 months. I thought it was my catheter causing it because it felt like it was causing it every time it got changed.

Have you spoken to your urologist about this? It could be due to prostate issues. Otherwise, it could be a type of neuropathic visceral (organ) pain. Are you taking any medications for neuropathic pain?

(KLD)

What injury did you have? Wouldn't it be likely to be coming from general neuropathic pain from damaged nerves from a spinal cord injury? So many people have this in the buttock which has rich innervations.

KLD I was on Neurontin for pain in my lef hip. I told him that I have bone spur it the hip joint. He didn't believe me & had xrays with me sitting in my chair. They didn't show anything wrong. The reason I know it's there is because the doctor I was seeing before him took an xray of my hip while I was on my back & side. They clearly show it. That's why I quit taking the Neurontin it wasn't helping stop the pain not to mention the side effects it was causing.
    My urologists didn't say anything about my prostate. I'll have to call & ask if he checked it.
    My muscle tone & spasms have increased about 100 fold. My Neurologist increased my baclfin from 10mg. to 15mg. I has helped some.
    The only time I've had any pain similar to this was when my caregiver somehow iterated me rectum from stimulating my bowels.
    Last edited by mrbreeze; 08-21-2011 at 03:22 PM.

arndog my spinal cord got bruised at the C6 area 101/2 years ago. I'm know classified a C7 quadriplegic.

KLD I finally found out from my urologist that my prostate is in good shape. Do you or anybody else have an ideal of what is causing this pain?

Do you have any sensation in your pelvic area? It sounds like it could be pelvic floor spasms. You have hip pain, you have increased spasms in gerneral, you had the rectal pain when stimulating the rectum for a BM. All part of Pelvic pain syndrome. Inserting a catheter could set off your pain because your urethra passes through your pelvic floor muscles, thus referring pain to your rectum perhaps. Sitting all day can make it worse too. It is a complex area.You can do some research on it. Most Doctors know almost nothing about pelvic pain, even your GI doc. Mine didn't.

Just a possibility, it could be neuro or a combination. Do u take any SNRI's or TCA's? These may help with the pain even if its visceral. Neurontin might help, as could valium or narcotics.15mg of baclofen aint gonna cut it. Try loading up on some meds after the pain starts and u might be able to break the cycle of spasm. Ive been dealing with this for a year now.
    Last edited by seawalker; 08-27-2011 at 12:57 AM.
    C3/4 Incomplete. Ependymoma tumor, syrinx from C to T.