Thread: Recruitment of volunteers at the Miami Project will begin soon

Recruitment of volunteers at the Miami Project will begin soon

Has anybody of you read the last Project from Miami? They will be recruiting the first volunteers soon...

Basic scientists and clinicians are partnering in formulating the framework needed to initiate and carry out translational research in SCI. Ensuring that experienced clinical researchers are in place to oversee and manage patient volunteers in future neural transplantation clinical trials is an important aspect of the plan. To prepare for translational research, the Miami Project to Cure Paralysis has entered a partnership with the Spinal Cord Injury Service at the Miami Veteran Administration (VA) Medical Center. The newly designated Center of Excellence in Functional Recovery in Chronic SCI is funded by VA Rehabilitation Research and Development.

Recruitment of volunteers for some of the studies carried out by the Center of Excellence in Functional Recovery will begin soon. Volunteers do not need to be veterans.

Joe

Joe,

Do they take chronics from other countries?

"future neural transplantation"?

And this means what?

Are there any additional details available?

sometimes you must read between lines

Max, I don't know. There's not much detailed information there. However, I found it very promising and encouraging. I've been receiving their newsletter for years but now they really seems to be pretty close! For example, when Dr. Mary Bunge received the Reeve Research Medal for her work in the field of Schwann cell bridges, "she thanked the Schwann cells, billions of them, that have enabled cellular bridges TO BE PREPARED FOR TESTING IN EXPERIMENTAL SCI." Now, I'm looking forward to the next issue.

Chris, you acts as if you didn't know what means the neural transplantation...

Joe

Joe, "neural transplantation", in my mind at least, could mean many things. That's why I'm asking about more specifics / details.

Stem cells? AdultSC? EmbryonicSC? Olfactory Ensheathing Glia? PIG (Diacrin)? Peripheral? Axonal? Neuronal? Motorneuronal? Macrophage? Schwann? etc., etc.,

Sorry I'm so stupid. So, which is it Joe?

Onward and Upward!

Sorry Chris

indeed, it's a broad term, but there's nothing specific in this issue as to what kind of cells are prepared for the transplantation.

I haven't heard from them for a long time, but they'd also work on following approaches to repair damaged spinal cord:

1.) demyelination of the region around the injury and implantation of Schwann cells to aid axon regeneration

2.) OEGs + Schwann cells to replicate Ramon-Cueto's results with this technique

Joe

P.S. if you have noticed, these are combination therapies

Is there anyone to contact or a list we can sign up on?

Here's more info.

Recruitment of volunteers for some of the studies carried out by the Center of Excellence in Functional Recovery will begin soon. Volunteers do not need to be veterans. Those individuals who wish to be considered for these and other Miami Project studies may, if they haven't already done so, complete a Miami Project Intake Form. To receive an Intake Form, please E-mail or call us. When e-mailing, send a message to mpinfo@miamiproject.med.miami.edu and place "Intake Form" in the subject heading. We will E-mail a PDF file which may be printed out, completed and returned by mail. If you prefer to receive the Intake Form by regular mail, please provide a mailing address. To call us with address information, please contact the Miami Project's Education office at 305-243-7108.
    http://www.miamiproject.miami.edu/Li...6/nl020623.htm

Funny, again no mention of Dr. Goldmember and his OT.

Onward and Upward!