Thread: Adult stem cells used to treat presidential hopeful

Adult stem cells used to treat presidential hopeful

Adult stem cells used to treat presidential hopeful
    Charlie Butts - OneNewsNow - 8/18/2011 3:40:00 AM

Texas Governor Rick Perry supports research involving adult stem cells -- and he's demonstrated personally just how strong his support is.

Governor Perry had a spinal fusion and decompression procedure at the beginning of July -- a procedure that reportedly delayed his recent announcement to run for the GOP presidential nomination. But Dr. David Prentice of the Family Research Council says in Perry's case, there was a different twist. (See earlier article)

"Along with that surgery it turns out he had an injection of some of his own adult stem cells into the spinal area to assist the healing," the doctor says.

read...

http://www.onenewsnow.com/Culture/De...spx?id=1413548

Doctors question Rick Perry’s stem cell back treatment

Doctors question Rick Perry’s stem cell back treatment
    By Associated Press
    Friday, August 19, 2011 - Added 16 hours ago

He calls it innovative. Others call it a big risk. In any case, the stem cell procedure that Texas Gov. Rick Perry had last month was an unusual experiment to fix a common malady: a bad back.

Perry, the newest GOP presidential candidate, has access to the best possible care and advice. Yet he and his doctor chose a treatment beyond mainstream medicine: He had stem cells taken from fat in his own body, grown in a lab and then injected into his back and his bloodstream during a July 1 operation to fuse part of his spine.

The treatment carries potential risks ranging from blood clots to infection to cancer and may even run afoul of federal rules, doctors say. At least one patient died of a clot hours after an infusion of fat-derived stem cells outside the United States. It’s not clear how much of this Perry might have known.

more...

http://bostonherald.com/news/us_poli...ack_treatment/

Is it really bebeficial or not? I don't know.
    My concern is that as stem cell treatments grow in scope we may end up with two types of medicine, one for the rich and one for the poor, like it already is in America.
    In other countries with socialized medicine, it will be the same as people fly away for procedures that they may or may not be able to afford.
    We need to be sure that proven therapies in other countries remain accessible to the public and that new therapies are given a chance and not blocked by health carte bureaucrats.

There is no sense building ramps and increasing accessibility for us if therapies are not covered under universal, free healthcare.
    Let's make sure that advances in medical technology do not become the exclusive domain of the rich and the poor mortgage their first born for treatment.
    Dennis Tesolat
    www.StemCellsandAtomBombs.blogspot.com

"Change does not roll in on the wheels of inevitability, but comes through continuous struggle. And so we must straighten our backs and work for our freedom."
    Martin Luther King

Quote Originally Posted by StemCells&AtomBombs View Post
    Is it really bebeficial or not? I don't know.
    My concern is that as stem cell treatments grow in scope we may end up with two types of medicine, one for the rich and one for the poor, like it already is in America.
    In other countries with socialized medicine, it will be the same as people fly away for procedures that they may or may not be able to afford.
    We need to be sure that proven therapies in other countries remain accessible to the public and that new therapies are given a chance and not blocked by health carte bureaucrats.

There is no sense building ramps and increasing accessibility for us if therapies are not covered under universal, free healthcare.
    Let's make sure that advances in medical technology do not become the exclusive domain of the rich and the poor mortgage their first born for treatment.
    Whatever one wants to say about Rick Perry's views and politics, I think that it is clear that he does what he believes. Two years ago, he presented our laboratory with a flag of Texas and a certificate thanking us for proposing and hopefullly soon starint umbiical cord blood mononuclear cell transplants in Texas. I was quite surprised by this. He did not need to do this and he clearly feels strongly enough about this to pass this message to us but also to agree to get adult stem cell transplants. To me, it is clear that he believes in the potential of stem cells but thinks that the only ethical source of such cells is from adults. I am impressed that he is willing to commit his body.

Wise.