Thread: Syrinx - covers complete thoracic cord

Syrinx - covers complete thoracic cord

First the details. Had a SCI in May 2006, fratcture T4-T5, severly bruised spinal cord and bone fragments poking into it. Paralyzed from waist down.

About a year later my fingers started locking up and going numb. I thought it was from to much sewing by hand and computer use. As it got worse, with the arm going numb, all the doctors just said it was a pinched nerve. So I did physical therapy, massage/chiropractic. Never relieved.

So I went and had an MRI done on July 26. These are the results:

There are no other acute appearing bone marrow changes identified in the vertebral bodies. The remainder of the thoracic vertebral bodies demonstrate normal alignment. The entire thoracic cord is replaced by a syrinx which extends all the way to the conus medullaris of the cord. There is marked thinning of the cord. There is no spinal stenosis. There is no hardware encroachment upon the spinal canal and no paraspinous soft tissue masses or fluid collection identified. The syrinx is new when compared to the prior study of 2006. Greatest dilatation of the cord is in the cervical region and at the cervical thoracic junction.

IMPRESSION:

1. Improved alignment of the thoracic spine following reduction and fixation with hardware when compared to the 2006 exam.
    2. New thoracic cord syrinx involving the entire cord length.
    3. There is no disk herniations, soft tissue mass, bony canal stenosis, or hardware encroachment upon the canal.
    RESULT: There are no prior cervical MRIs for comparison. The cervical vertebral body alignment is normal. Vertebral body heights are intact. Postoperative changes are noted in the upper thoracic spine beginning at the T1 level. Paramagnetic artifact is
    present from hardware. In the cervical spine, there is no evidence of spinal stenosis, disk herniation, or focal cord mass. There is very small central disk protrusion at the C3-4 level.

Beginning at the junction of the medulla and the cervical cord at the level of the foramen magnum and extending throughout the entire cervical cord and into the upper thoracic cord, there is a large syrinx. There is CSF flow artifact within this. There
    are no enhancing lesions identified in the cord to suggest a neoplasm and no epidural enhancing abnormalities either. No paraspinous soft tissue masses or fluid collections are identified. Marked thinning of the cervical and upper thoracic cord is noted.

IMPRESSION:

1. Large syrinx involving the entire cervical cord as detailed above.
    2. Very small central disk protrusion at the C3-4 level.
    3. Postsurgical changes in the upper thoracic spine.
    4. Thoracic spine MRI was also obtained and will be reported separately.

The doctor said he has not ever seen one this big, and so they are now going to have several more neurosurgens look at it, and then decide how to deal with it.

Just wondering has anyone else had one this big? And how was it resolved?
    Last edited by AKspacey; 08-17-2011 at 05:39 AM.

I have a syrinx from C2-T11. Had it drained and a shunt put in (all drained except T5-T9) at NYU in 1995 but it came back about 3 years later.

I had a huge syrinx consuming all of my cord from a tumor, not a traumatic injury. It drained a good amount after the tumor was removed. I would find a NS who has done many surgeries of this kind, not just any ol surgeon.
    C3/4 Incomplete. Ependymoma tumor, syrinx from C to T.

Last edited by Sugarcube; 08-27-2011 at 02:35 AM.