Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Muscle building!

Muscle building!

I was wondering if any of you guys tried this... a bit different approach to physical activity. We all want to look good and feel good about our bodies.

After 5 years of rehab I realized that theres probably not much more function I will get back so I figured I will make the best of what I have. I wanna develop as much shape and strength in muscles I still have control of. Being incomplete quad I regained a lot of function.

That being said there are things that worry me. I have more function on one side of my body so if I keep working out both sides with the same intensity one side will be visually bigger and that will look comical. Also, I can see already that one side of my body is stronger. I dont know if I should just focus more on the bad side and try to keep up. It definitely takes a lot more effort to work on bad side.
    Another thing is that for rehabilitation we suppose to work out as much as we can and most of the literature for body building states that its better to work out 3/4 days a week to give muscle time to repair and grow so I would have to cut back on my activities. It seems a bit counter intuitive.

Anybody had any experience with it and care to share?
    Last edited by BSgimp; 08-16-2011 at 03:26 PM.

I have Brown Sequard Syndrome so I definitely have a weaker side. I've been strength training for years, both before and after injury. I have chosen to work both sides equally and it seems the strength "gap" has closed each year since injury.

I agree with the 3/4 days a week, sometimes 5. I work different body parts each session to allow for recovery. I rotate through 3 different workouts and it seems to work for me.

Good luck!

hey gvinton.

I also have BSS. I'm interested what kind of exercises you do for your legs? Also, was there a difference in your chest muscles? Also, do you work with a special diet?

C7 quad, 2 years post.

In my early 20s I worked out almost everyday, part of my OCD I guess. I hit a wall, couldn't get any stronger or bigger. Long-time HUGE body-builder explained to me that rest days were most important, he had switched to a 1 day on, 2 days off routine of high-weight, low-reps and said to just let your muscles heal on the off days. Lots of protein through diet (not supplements) and had 5g of creatine prior to workout for increased stamina. At the time he was experimenting with nitric oxide but decided it really had no long-term effects. To each there own, all I know is the guy was an absolute monster and had alot of experience. Definitely only one muscle group per day, although when you're in a chair it's more difficult to isolate them. I do one day chest, day off, one day shoulders, day off, one day back (lats). Seems to be working, but don't get stuck in a routine - it's all about muscle confusion. Also variety will keep things fresh, change gyms, machines, types of weights, angle of exercises, etc. As far as return goes I'm living proof. I know I'll never walk again, but I notice more function in my upper abs and lower back as time goes by. As well my grip strength increase has been phenomenal, then again I keep dumbells everywhere, on the couch, in the kitchen, even in bed. It's all about maximizing your potential.

Keep pushing everything... you won't regret it.

I'm a walking quad so the leg exercises are pretty normal stuff. I do squats, presses, extensions, hamstrings, etc.

There is a difference in my chest muscles but if I use free weights in minimizes it. When I use isolated machines my left side will fail first.

Regarding diet, nothing special other than I try to keep high protein. I follow all workouts with a shake and spread out my keep healthy snacks at my office.

I agree with alternating days. We used to do upper body one day and lower the next. Working out is basically tearing,literally, down the muscle and the rest days are for the minute rips to repair, it's how they grow larger. Not sure if rip is the proper word.

Also important is to have proper form and function. Having a full length mirror really helps with visualizing if the exercize is being performed properly. I've work with a trainer who thinks out of the box for five years. What we think is proper technique in our brains may not be so at all, so having a mirror or someone there helps with seeing if it's proper.

For me I workout in the gym but most of my work is done at home. I use a shoulder press, vitaglide and a handcycle. I've found that elastic cords and bands of various strengths can really provide an all around workout.

I don't think its so much that you won't get stronger(more back) as the rehab setting has reached it's peak. an Perhaps its time to take the next step and really work on strengthening and conditioning. Many trainers, pt students etc. would jump at the chance to see how far you can get to.

Sounds like you guys are doing it. I've been at this 38 years and found that's what its all about; maximizing our potential.
    Last edited by Patrick Madsen; 08-16-2011 at 06:38 PM.

Would you recommend working out each muscle group once a week gvinton?
    C-5, 6 SCI. Took about 6 months to walk. Walking full time. Without any assistance since Nov. 2003 and will make a full recovery

"rehabilitation we suppose to work out as much as we can"......that would be more for a part that maybe u have a twitch at.. so u want to try to get the signal going.......but if its a pretty good functioning muscle, then yea, you want to rest it a few days before hitting it again........
    - Rolling Thru Life -

how bout someone with brown sequard syndrome?
    C-5, 6 SCI. Took about 6 months to walk. Walking full time. Without any assistance since Nov. 2003 and will make a full recovery

I have just come across this thread as I am wondering about the best way to approach developing my own exercise regime... I'm T10 complete (so Ive been told). Anyway I have found everyone has their way of doing things... A former builder himself told me today that if you need recovery, you're doing it wrong. You should work out every day till you get to the body build you want to be at... That means rather than training to the point of failure - that is Training until you cant do anymore is counter productive. Work out where your point of too much is and back off a little. Kepp doing that till it becomes too easy and add a little more weight (if your lifting), more speed/distance (if your cycling), whatever...

The theory he says... If you're training and you end up too sore to train the next day, you're essentially losing at least some of the work you did that day in the time it takes to recover... Kinda makes sense. But I dont know.

I havent been on any body building forums to find information, mainly coz I havent found any that aroused my interest. So I cant really comment on the validity of any regime... Just thought I would put it out there to see what someone who knows could come up with...
    Last edited by Keiser; 08-18-2011 at 12:43 AM.