Thread: Update!

Update!

Hiya guys

I posted here once in my introduction and been pretty busy and haven't had much update on my girlfriend and her current condition.

She is a t9-t12 complete which happened in 2009. She went to her neurologist today and got some great news. We've been looking into stem cell therapy and clinical trials but was worried because of the scar tissue building up on the nerve endings. Her neurologist today concluded that there is no scar tissue whatsoever on her nerve endings. I'm not sure if this is normal or not but the news made me so happy. I've told others but they didn't really see it as a big deal, so I had to come on here and express my happiness!

I hope learning this we can look at more options and one day get her back on her feet.

Thanks for sharing the good news.
    Lets hope this is the start of new beginnings.

I am sure you are happy and any glimpse of hope is wonderful. And giving her some hope will give her mind something to focus on.

Some people don't see anything as a big deal and do not realise what we go thru everday. It is about you and your girlfriend, and how you are coping. I say never give up, you never know what the future holds.

Never give up hope..
    JeAnNE L1Burst Fracture inc. 11/5/10

Live Well--Laugh often

I trust she is working her butt off getting as strong as she can to maximize her potential. Glad to hear the good news.

Good news!

What kind of stem cell therapy are you looking into?

Thanks for all your replies. It's great coming on here and getting all this support which I pass on to her which makes her want to get stronger everyday.

We've been looking into different kinds of therapy, but with her being a complete there aren't many that are available except for the ones out of country. But if anyone has any ideas or advice we'd love to hear it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dojeda View Post
    Thanks for all your replies. It's great coming on here and getting all this support which I pass on to her which makes her want to get stronger everyday.

We've been looking into different kinds of therapy, but with her being a complete there aren't many that are available except for the ones out of country. But if anyone has any ideas or advice we'd love to hear it.
    This RIM is one of the leading facilities for SCI recovery. Also has on site living accommodations.

http://www.rimrehab.org/Default.aspx

Wow, thanks for the link. After looking at this I'm really amazed. I've been reading through the website but wanted to ask you first hand. What achievements have they accomplished? Specifically regarding people with complete injuries? Do you know anyone personally who has gone through this program?

Quote Originally Posted by Dojeda View Post
    Wow, thanks for the link. After looking at this I'm really amazed. I've been reading through the website but wanted to ask you first hand. What achievements have they accomplished? Specifically regarding people with complete injuries? Do you know anyone personally who has gone through this program?

As an incomplete, I have received PT at RIM for 5 years and have witnessed many completes improve dramatically.

The PT's and athletic trainers work with you 3 hours a day (3-5 days per week). The work you must put in is very challenging and requires dedication, commitment and patience.

I have witnessed completes walking within parallel bars with the assistance of KAFOs.

Also visit: walk the line to recovery.

http://www.walkthelinetoscirecovery.com/

Check out the videos and photos as many completes continue to make significant progress. Both programs are great and I have participated in both. In my opinon, RIM is better and offers on campus living arrangements. Walk the line is more vigorous.