Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Who misses their old job?

Who misses their old job?

I'm writing resumes for the first time in a long time, and recounting all my work experience has me thinking about my old job (equipment and truck operator). I really think I'm going to miss sitting between the doors of a truck and having my mind mostly free to ponder whatever I wish. My new line of work is a lot more brain based and I won't have that freedom.

All this to say, since I'm now contemplating going to work again after almost a decade, I'm feeling pretty nostalgic about my old job.

My only pre-injury job was as a soccer referee. It was horrible. Can't say I really miss being yelled at by insane parents.

i miss the hell out of it! i had one fight left before i went pro. i think i miss training for fights more than the fight. i the only thing i wanted at 18 was to be the world middle weight champ. but watching over the years i would had to fight oscar in his prime among others i don't know if i was even close to that level.
    Street Dreamz c.c. maryland

i miss being a cop.
    2yrs post now......

Mine still gives me nightmares, and I didn't get hurt at it. Do I miss it???? I think, but why?

I miss the people I used to work with. I don't miss the workplace though. It started out a great place to work and I was one of the first hired. I loved having the job that paid a living wage and all the benefits you could eat.

After a time we got new middle management that did not respect the workers at all, became seriously abusive and the dream job devolved into a high stress nightmare for all of us.

I stopped working christmas day in 2006 and had no choice in the matter, but would have quit anyway since I won a huge lawsuit and finally after 12 years in the courts got paid. I was just lucky I could hang on as long as I did.

Every day ran into the other with 60 plus hour workweeks and the fog of high levels of pain meds just to get by. My docs were telling me I had to quit working repeatedly. No one knew what I really went through until the settlement came through, then I just told them to get stuffed and went on my way.

I have secure lifetime income from disability sources and planned for years until I could make it happen. I wanted to give up many times.

The company went out of business in 2009. All 1300 of the people I worked with are out of work and those that have found other employment will never reach those pay levels again. The network they established after the closing tells me that most are still struggling and many have still not found any employment at all. I'm glad that I got out when I did.

I don't miss the job, but I miss the people.
    Anything worth doing, is worth doing to excess

Quote Originally Posted by alhavel View Post
    Mine still gives me nightmares, and I didn't get hurt at it. Do I miss it???? I think, but why?
    Funny, I did get hurt on the job but I miss my employers, my job, and my lifestye. Could be it just seems rosey in hindsight because I was able bodied. I was highway trucking, seeing new places all the time, had some really great "action" on the go on days off..... I'd certainly live that last year, pre SCI, over if I could.

My nightmares turn into reality , they call to see how I am, where and who, and what we did, or use. Always followed by "when can you come back". SCI kind of retired me, but they always catch me doing nothing but work for someone else. I really can go back, they promise I'll feel like I never left. I never tell them about the nightmares, most of them are the stars........

Sad fact is they know what I'm capable of, and have never really replaced me. I just wished they'd stop following me in my sleep, and the phone, as well as events I attend.

Congrats on going back to work Zap. I'm sure it will give you a new purpose in life. Yeah, I sure miss my old job as a motion picture stuntman. Don't miss the back stabbing or long sometimes boring hours, but loved being in such good shape and around "can-do" people..

hell yes. I worked as a tech at a busy Dodge dealership with an awesome group of people. I was flat rate, meaning I got paid the labour rate no matter how quick I got a job done. Routinely clocked 12-15 hours in a 8 hour shift at $35 an hour. Damn rights I am proud of that, my record day was over 25 hours. If I never crashed my MX bike and broke my neck I would have made $100k that year. All by turning wrenches. I look at my huge Snap-On toolbox and just bawl, I wish I never ever saw a dirtbike.