Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: home-made hand controls

home-made hand controls

Does anyone have experience with insurance claims that occured while using home-made adaptations?

I've got a set of hand controls I made myself and I like them more than anything else I've ever used....... but I don't use them much because I'm a little scared of what would happen if there were an accident and an insurance company started poking around looking for an excuse to pass the liability on to me. Claiming that my hand controls were responsible for the accident or whatever.

not sure how hard they would look at it. mine fell apart one time lucky i had a friend with me and put the braked for me i stop at a cvs and got a cane it worked till i was able to get it fixed.
    Street Dreamz c.c. maryland

Do either your insurance co. or the state you live in have any written requirements about certification or similar?

Quote Originally Posted by a la carte View Post
    Do either your insurance co. or the state you live in have any written requirements about certification or similar?
    Nope, insurance did request pictures of the adaptations though as a record of what they would have to replace.

So... They already know you're using home-made controls and have no issues?

Then, perhaps, you could only be negligent if they could prove (with their "experts") that your design or manufacturing caused an accident/damage/whatever.

But you want to be very careful that there is no "fine print" anywhere that says the control must pass an inspection or be certified!

Hmmmm not exactly, they have pictures of the permanently installed menox and sure grips in two of my vehicles. My home-mades, so far, have only been used in newly purchased vehicles (before they've had permanent equipment installed). It's just that I prefer my design so much that I'd like to just swap them into my car and remove the menox controls.

My thoughts on it at this point are that I may just leave both installed - drive with my design - and make mine disappear in the event that there's a claim. They are very easy to install/remove.

Making yours disappear may not even be possible in the event of a mishap. Personally, I think that's not a good plan!

Amazing, but when the facts are stacked against you, the insurance company ALWAYS gets its man! The other way around and you have to fight like hell.

I also want to make home made hand controls and I try to find anything about the insurance liability for or against it, so far nothing. I have a friend in Allstate, In NY state, who told me that it wont matter in case of accident, if you are at fault then your are at fault, regardless of what kind of hand controls you have. I am in NC looking to start driving again (i have NY license) and cant find any law that regulates hand controls. From what i heard from others, when taking a driving test as long as you can show that you able to drive with hand controls and pass it, you are golden. So if the state says you are good to drive, what else does the insurance need? I guess its worth calling all major insurance companies and ask. Are you willing to share your home made hand control design?
    c6/7 incomplete 6/30/07

whats that smell? its me, cause im the shit.

если я сейчас умру то нахуй я родился

Quote Originally Posted by russianboss View Post
    I have a friend in Allstate, In NY state, who told me that it wont matter in case of accident, if you are at fault then your are at fault, regardless of what kind of hand controls you have.
    The trouble is there is two flavors of "at fault". There's "you're at fault" but your ass is covered because your insurance contract says that the policy vendor has to pay. AND "you're at fault" but your ass is toast because due to a technicality we here at Heartless and Souless Insurance can sidestep our obligation to pick up the tab. They'll take the second variety every chance they get, beleive it.

I leave on vacation in the morning, but send me a PM to remind me about your request sometime after the 24th and I'll be happy to come up with some kind of illustration for you. They are dead simple but they do require strong hands and I think they'd stink on the highway if your vehicle doesn't have cruise.
    Last edited by Zaphod; 08-15-2011 at 01:29 AM.

I know in British Columbia and Washington State any adaptive device has to be tested and certified.
    With the way insurance is now a days, it's a risk.
    Dang, back in the day, many used anything to could manage for gas and brake. One guy fashioned a broomstick with a shoe to the end of it. Another drove from Mexico to the Canadian border with just a stick. Blew me away. But there wasn't too much out there.