Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Talks with Rick Hansen Foundation

Quote Originally Posted by Zaphod View Post
    Nope. Aside from encouraging my friends and family to choose their charities based on sci I haven't done a thing to forward the "cure". Guess what, I don't owe you an apology for that.

You want to call me out on casting stones? That might hold a little more water if you weren't trying to take over the cure forum with bitching about the lack of performance from a man who went AROUND THE WORLD IN A MANUAL CHAIR to promote a cure for SCI.

I did not imply that you all had the power to damage RHF, I said "if". Frankly, I'll be pretty surprised if you get more than a patronizing reply expressing how much your concerns mean to them and regret at not being able to schedule a meeting in the forseeable future. I just pointed out, as others have, that you are trying to cut off your noses to spite your faces.

Women's suffrage.... Civil rights..... And the injustice visited upon the SCI community by the RHF...... right!?!?
    Sorry if you misunderstood. I didn't ask for an apology, was just asking for a way to move the cure forward. No sense apologizing for not knowing the exact answer, I think we're all working towards the answer, and I still respect your input. Even encouraging people to donate is a good thing.

In regards to the issues of civil rights, it's not an oppression issue, it's about the rights of those most affected to have a say in the direction of their own liberation. I don't think Rick Hansen is oppressing any of us, I just want an answer from his organization about what they're spending.

It's great that Rick Hansen had the courage to travel the world in a manual wheelchair, and I think he's done a lot for those living with SCI. The question now is about what his organizations are doing about a cure for SCI.

I'm still in the dark about what asking for an answer to a question and bitching, as you put it, have anything to do with each other. Unless you believe that asking is being 'uppity', and we should just be grateful for the help. This is my meaning when I compared our situation with other minorities.
    Dennis Tesolat
    www.StemCellsandAtomBombs.blogspot.com

"Change does not roll in on the wheels of inevitability, but comes through continuous struggle. And so we must straighten our backs and work for our freedom."
    Martin Luther King

"Cutting off our noses in spite of our faces"

Bravo, it's a great quote, but I don't understand how it applies.

If RHF is serious about speniding on a cure, we'll be happy to hear this and help RHF.
    If RHF says that they aren't spending on cure and don't plan to, then there is nothing to lose.

The above quote means that you'll lose either way and I don't understand how this applies to the current QandA with RHF.
    Sounds nice, but it doesn't actually suit the situation.

About hijacking the cure forum, where else should we have this conversationn?
    Last edited by StemCells&AtomBombs; 08-16-2011 at 07:44 AM. Reason: a few typos
    Dennis Tesolat
    www.StemCellsandAtomBombs.blogspot.com

"Change does not roll in on the wheels of inevitability, but comes through continuous struggle. And so we must straighten our backs and work for our freedom."
    Martin Luther King

You want to call me out on casting stones? That might hold a little more water if you weren't trying to take over the cure forum with bitching about the lack of performance from a man who went AROUND THE WORLD IN A MANUAL CHAIR to promote a cure for SCI.
    This is not about the man, is about his organization. I can go to the moon and back in the name of SCI cure, but if i don´t do some real effort to support research my travel is nothing more than some lines in a newspaper.
    RHF is one of the biggest SCI orgs in the planet, one of the few that can make a real different in the field, but they should do more and better things if they are really interested in cure SCI.
    Why not support a SCInet in Canada as a first step?
    Last edited by Isildur; 08-16-2011 at 11:58 AM.
    -Ramps in buildings are necessary, but it would be usefull to have another ones for people (mind/heart).....

-Hoc non pereo habebo fortior me

I think it will be very unfortunate if Canada doesn't establish its own clinical trial network; SCINetCAN, and join us in the fight.

Nope. Aside from encouraging my friends and family to choose their charities based on sci I haven't done a thing to forward the "cure". Guess what, I don't owe you an apology for that.

I did not imply that you all had the power to damage RHF, I said "if". Frankly, I'll be pretty surprised if you get more than a patronizing reply expressing how much your concerns mean to them and regret at not being able to schedule a meeting in the forseeable future. I just pointed out, as others have, that you are trying to cut off your noses to spite your faces.

Women's suffrage.... Civil rights..... And the injustice visited upon the SCI community by the RHF...... right!?!?
    Zaohod,

I hope you didn't take things in a personal way. In my view here we are having a very passionate and constructive discussion about curing SCI.

What I see is one of the most powerful SCI org that does not invest money to find a cure for SCI, but keep saying they are working for a world without paralysis (but I see now they are taking that away from the web in every pages, so that is like admitting they were screwing people as I have said many times BTW)

Here I see enogh resons for taking action. Then sure we all want a gentle discussion, so I and others started the discussion gently some time ago, but we have been dumped with a little hot air. So what should one do?
    I decided to change a little attitude instead of giving up.
    I hope I am doing the right thing, but if you can have some results in another way please do it and let me konw if I can help.
    In God we trust; all others bring data. - Edwards Deming

Quote Originally Posted by Isildur View Post
    This is not about the man, is about his organization. I can go to the moon and back in the name of SCI cure, but if i don´t do some real effort to support research my travel is nothing more than some lines in a newspaper.
    RIH is one of the biggest SCI orgs in the planet, one of the few that can make a real different in the field, but they should do more and better things if they are really interested in cure SCI.
    Why not support a SCInet in Canada as a first step?
    Exacltly!

Quote Originally Posted by jerkens View Post
    im game.. he lives right here in vancouver anyways
    I take note of that

http://rickhansen.com/code/navigate....370&postId=151

Canada's Governor General is on board .. this could mean another huge donation by the federal government soon (or maybe not??)

Relay across Canada starts on August 24th in Newfoundland.

To contact the Governor General: http://www.gg.ca/document.aspx?id=325 (info@gg.ca)

To wrap up the 25th Anniversary, the Rick Hansen Foundation and the Rick Hansen Institute will co-host an international conference and exposition, Interdependence 2012 (i2012) in Vancouver next May. This conference will inspire collaboration in the pursuit of a healthier and more inclusive world, engaging leaders and influencers from around the globe and provide an impetus to accelerate progress towards accessible communities for all and a cure for paralysis after spinal cord injury.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

dang, August 24th. I think that's Ricks B'day. Will have to let Anty know so she can send him a greeting!

(lol @ Patrick)
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12