Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Talks with Rick Hansen Foundation

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Talks with Rick Hansen Foundation

At 3:30PM on Friday, 12 August 2011 (Vancouver time) a letter was sent to the Rick Hansen Foundation (RHF) from five spinal cord injured people in Canada, Italy, Japan, and Spain.

The point of the letter is to ask for direct talks between the foundation and people in wheelchairs to discuss RHF’s past, present, and future commitment to a cure for spinal cord injury.

Our goal is to make sure that money that is raised in the name of cure, is spent on cure, and we hope to increase the participation of spinal cord injured people from all over the world in the Rick Hansen Foundation’s stated goal of a cure for spinal cord injuries.

We feel that as an organization dedicated to ‘a world without paralysis after spinal cord injury’ RHF can play an even greater role in curing paralysis. RHF is one of the biggest, most well financed organizations dedicated to spinal cord injury in the world and because of this could unite the international community in achieving a cure in the near future.

We don’t want to just donate and cheer, we want to play a role in achieving Rick Hansen’s dream that started twenty five years ago.

The letter, as it was sent, can be seen at http://stemcellsandatombombs.blogspo...anding-up.html. And everyone will be informed of their answer.
    Dennis Tesolat
    www.StemCellsandAtomBombs.blogspot.com

"Change does not roll in on the wheels of inevitability, but comes through continuous struggle. And so we must straighten our backs and work for our freedom."
    Martin Luther King

If they will not want to talk they will prove they are trying to hide things..
    In God we trust; all others bring data. - Edwards Deming

Quote Originally Posted by paolocipolla View Post
    That's certainly one way to look at it. Another way would be that they don't take meetings with every multinational alliance of disgruntled internet no-names that demands that they do so. Maybe you five should just show up at Hansen's lair one day. It worked for Dorothy, Toto, and company.

Quote Originally Posted by rjg View Post
    That's certainly one way to look at it. Another way would be that they don't take meetings with every multinational alliance of disgruntled internet no-names that demands that they do so. Maybe you five should just show up at Hansen's lair one day. It worked for Dorothy, Toto, and company.
    I'd love to see more drive for the cure, but I'd say this sums up the situation pretty accurately.

As others have mentioned, even if you somehow succeeded in bending TRHF to your will via this sort of public negativity, by then you will have damaged its reputation substantially and it will no longer be the cure machine you imagine it to be.

Fishing would no doubt be a pastime recommended for sci people under the quality of life policies - lol

I don't know how much we are going to be able to influence the Rick Hansen organizations' (or other organizations) policies unless someone protests at a board meeting or someone joins the board with a strong cure mandate.

You can imagine how after years of no cure that apathy could set in. Those with an interest in the organization never realizing its goal would have a job for life while it focuses on care.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaphod View Post
    I'd love to see more drive for the cure
    Have you been doing something about that?
    Do you have any suggestion about what should we do as an alternative to what we are trying to do?

Maybe you could just call Rick and ask him to do something to change things. If he is as nice as people that knows him say, he should listen to you. Give it a try, really!

Thank you RGJ. You have helped me solve a problem that I've been wrestling with for sometime. Your suggestion may give us some more push. Seeing we ain't got no name I'd like to use your proposal.
    I think your idea is fantastic:THE MULTINATIONAL ALLIANCE of DISGRUNTLED INTERNET NO-NAMES.
    I reckon we could mispell a few of the words so that we're not confused with intelligent people and that people can see that we're just a bunch of angry sci folks who didn't even have the common sense to check the spelling. Maybe we can make a backwards R like toys R us and show how infantile we are.

While you and I are enjoying telling a bunch of angry SCIs to shut up and sit down, I'd like to tell some other groups the same thing.
    Minorities. Who in the heck are they to demand what's important to them. Go back to where you came from.
    Women. Shut up and get back in the kitchen. You wanna work AND get equal pay?
    Workers. A bunch of ignorant factory workers who dare to tell the boss how to run things. Get back to work you lazy morons

I can imagine that it sounds pretty terrible when applied to others.

All we want to do is to get information about what they're doing about cure and apparently others who sent the emails also want to know the answer to the question.
    So what's the problem here? We're asking about their financial commitment for something that's for us and raised in the name of SCI, so who should ask? The MS Society?

I guess a good laugh is important from time to time. Now back to work.
    Dennis Tesolat

"Change does not roll in on the wheels of inevitability, but comes through continuous struggle. And so we must straighten our backs and work for our freedom."
    Martin Luther King

Quote Originally Posted by Zaphod View Post
    I'd love to see more drive for the cure, but I'd say this sums up the situation pretty accurately.

As others have mentioned, even if you somehow succeeded in bending TRHF to your will via this sort of public negativity, by then you will have damaged its reputation substantially and it will no longer be the cure machine you imagine it to be.
    Wow! Just on the first page the people who put out this letter and sent the emails have moved from a meaningless organization (The Multinational Alliance of Disgruntled Internet No-Names) to a group strong enough to substantially damage the reputation and money making capacity of RHF.

Not bad for one page of posts.

@Zaphod: Can you please tell me how sending a letter to RHF asking to meet, or sending emails asking for an answer to a question (twice because it wasn't answered the first time) is negativity? I'd really like to hear that along with any suggestions on getting, in your own words, "more drive for the cure"? I truly am interested.

But for now, I leave you with some quotes from two other no-names in history.

Kartin Muther Ling: "It's not like they told you to get off the bus. They just said move to the back."

Gahatma Mandi: "The British, they're a scary bunch. I don't want to be messing with them."
    Dennis Tesolat

Martin Luther King

Maybe you five should just show up at Hansen's lair one day.
    If that is what is needed to change things, that is going to happen.
    I have already a few Canadian friends willing to come with me BTW...
    So I guess at the end we could be many more than just 5...
    Do you want to join?

Quote Originally Posted by paolocipolla View Post
    show up with a video camera, 60 Minutes style. You won't catch Rick, he's always gone fishing.