Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reply and opinion from Wise Young

Reply and opinion from Wise Young

Dear Wise as you know well about my L1 injury. Few days ago i just e-mailed Dr Alok to know what he is doing. He told me that any of stem cell therapy will not work for me. He said i can walk so stem cells may not be useful for restoring bladder bowel and sexual function.

Do you agree with his opinion Wise? Can stem cell theray not be beneficial for me? I dont agree with Dr Alok because if stem cell can help regain other functions in more difficult injuries and improve BB and Sexual function then i am already walking and just need litle to recover.

Do not despair, things will get better soon, my friend.

Quote Originally Posted by Jawaid View Post
    Dear Wise as you know well about my L1 injury. Few days ago i just e-mailed Dr Alok to know what he is doing. He told me that any of stem cell therapy will not work for me. He said i can walk so stem cells may not be useful for restoring bladder bowel and sexual function.

Do you agree with his opinion Wise? Can stem cell theray not be beneficial for me? I dont agree with Dr Alok because if stem cell can help regain other functions in more difficult injuries and improve BB and Sexual function then i am already walking and just need litle to recover.
    I believe that neural stem cells that should be used for the treatment of lumbosacral injuries. We currently don't have an immune-compatible form of such cells ready for clinical trials, although there are several promising possible sources (i.e. genetically induced neurons and MUSE cells of Mari Dezawa). I am watching these developments carefully and hope to implement such therapies in trials as cells are ready and there is some animal evidence to suggest that such therapies are safe and effective.

Wise.

Dr. Young

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Young View Post
    I believe that neural stem cells that should be used for the treatment of lumbosacral injuries. We currently don't have an immune-compatible form of such cells ready for clinical trials, although there are several promising possible sources (i.e. genetically induced neurons and MUSE cells of Mari Dezawa). I am watching these developments carefully and hope to implement such therapies in trials as cells are ready and there is some animal evidence to suggest that such therapies are safe and effective.

Wise.
    Dr. Young,

Do you know Dr. Robert Lanza with Advanced Cell Technology and or the work he and his team are doing? Dr Lanza and his team have created HESC cell from a from single blastomere without destroying the embryo. I have pasted part of a document below that better explains Dr Lanzas work, the full document can be seen by clicking on the link. Could these cells be used by you and your lab to treat sci? Feels like all the pieces to the puzzle are, they just need to come together. Thank you Dr Young for all you do and for your time.

To date, the derivation of all human embryonic stem cell (hESC) lines has involved
    destruction of embryos. We previously demonstrated that hESCs can be generated from single blastomeres (Klimanskaya et al., 2006). In that ‘‘proof-of-principle’’ study, multiple cells were removed from each embryo and none of the embryos were allowed to continue development. Here we report the derivation of five hESC lines without embryo destruction, including one without hESC coculture. Single blastomeres were removed from the embryos by using a technique similar to preimplantation genetic diagnosis (PGD). The biopsied embryos.............................http://www.advancedcell.com/document...Cell_Paper.pdf
    Last edited by ineedmyelin; 08-13-2011 at 07:50 PM. Reason: edited
    "I'm manic as hell-
    But I'm goin' strong-
    Left my meds on the sink again-
    My head will be racing by lunchtime"

<----Scott Weiland---->

Dear wise you mean neural stem cell therapy can cure my bladder bowel and sexual function hopefully?

Would u like to include me in ur coming trials for lumbosacral injuries somewhere in 2013?
    I mean will u be taking foreign patients or not?

I just hope that you break that barrier in ur coming trials that patients from foreign countries can not be included.

Dear wise you mean neural stem cell therapy can cure my bladder bowel and sexual function hopefully?

Would u like to include me in ur coming trials for lumbosacral injuries somewhere in 2013?

I just hope that you break that barrier in ur coming trials that patients from foreign countries can not be included.
    i agree. its likely id be in hong kong right now. :/

Thank u my friend East Dragon for ur kind words.

Just waiting for Dr Wise's reply.

Jawaid, it may take Dr. Young a while to write back, hi is teaching this week.

Jim

Its ok dear Jim.

I don't have answers to your questions. In May 5-7, 2012, we will be holding a meeting in Xi'an (IANR/ISCITT) where I hope to get a consensus on the available cells for transplantation. What I am planning is a "Cell Transplantation Olympics" at that meeting, inviting all the top scientists and companies who have cells that they would like to try in spinal cord injury. They will present their best case and we will discuss issues such as immune compatibility, safety, availability, and possible therapeutic effects. The "winners" of the Olympics will have their cells transplanted in the ChinaSCINet and other networks.

Wise.