Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: My M300 Permobil arrived

You look great in it! Hope you will post how it's going. I got a lightly used one that I transfer to when needed. Such a joy to rest the shoulders.
    I'm still working on the steering in tight spots.

I got a Permobil C500 in March 2010 and only used it for about 2 hours so far. I am having trouble going electric. Just can't let go of the manual life style.

Hey, 55. Do you drive from the Permobil, too?

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Peter View Post
    I got a Permobil C500 in March 2010 and only used it for about 2 hours so far. I am having trouble going electric. Just can't let go of the manual life style.

Hey, 55. Do you drive from the Permobil, too?
    No, I use the van seat. I do not have one set up fr driving from the wheelchair.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

I have been using the M300 for a week now. I am still learning, but have not caused any serious damage. Lol The chair has a lot going for it. It has plenty of power. It did not wince when deliberately eased into the edge of the sofa. If they made a blade for the front end, it could probably be used for landscaping., etc. The maximum speed is listed as 6mph. I took it out on the street and pushed it to the max. It goes as fast as I care to go. If that is not fast enough, an optional power package will boost the speed to 7.5 mph ($1895).

I went a number of places where there was uneven ground, holes, and about a 2” curb. I could not hang it up, and despite going in circles on a pretty good slope on my driveway, I never felt that the wheels were going to leave the ground. The negative is that it has a hard, stiff ride. I adjusted the shocks to give it a softer ride but there is no real difference. Based on the literature from Permobil, I expected it to provide Lexus comfort. lol

Where it really shines is in its maneuverability. Its compact size and mid-wheel drive enabled me to get around everywhere I could with my Quickie GT and iGlide. I was even able to do a 180 degree turn in our Toyota Sienna Rampvan which has both front seats in it. The ramp did not flex with the heavy chair on it. That was a concern of mine because the Permobils are heavy. It is nice that I can do pirouettes in my old age. lol

From the standpoint of saving my shoulders the seat elevator is a godsend. I can do my bed and toilet tranfers without grimacing. Also, I do not need to do those overhead reaches anymore eliminating that source of pain. In my opinion, this feature alone makes the chair worthwhile for people with shoulder issues like mine. I have been motoring around all day pain free.

The tilt/recline features are great. It enables me to custom adjust the dump for different situations. It is nice to be able to increase the dump in rough terrain and lower it to fit under tables. And I can relax without getting into bed.

The wheelchair emits a loud annoying relay click every time the joystick is moved from the neutral position. When it is moving it is very quiet.

There are two issues I am struggling with. First, I am right handed and have the joystick module mounted on the right side armrest. (See photo in my op.) This works great for moving around. However, it gets in the way of many important routine activities, such as accessing my refrigerator and microwave oven. I work from the right side. When the doors are open, I pull along side and reach in with both hands to grasp things between them. With my manual chair, I could reach across the side of my lap with my left hand but now the joystick is in the way. I cannot lean on it and have to lift many things up over it to put them on my lap. The module can be turned to the right side about 120 degrees but not when I am next to things. It will also turn to the lap side about 90 degrees but then I cannot put things on my lap. Any suggestions? I thought of moving the module to my left side but do not have nearly as much fine coordination for moving the joystick. This is really aggravating.

The second issue is the extra time it takes to maneuver into position. With the manual chair, it just took a quick nudge on a wheel or push off on a wall or furniture and I was in place. That is history. It has to be done with meticulous joystick movements. These two things have put aspects of my life in slow motion and are eating up my time. So far, I have not had a problem opening/closing doors but have not wrestled with any of the spring-loaded store doors yet.

I believe I made the right decision but time will tell.

Permobil have a compact joystick. It would help with your problem but probably not solve it completely.

From a small cabin in the big woods of The Allegheny National Forest, PA
    Great that it has helped you out so much. Wait until you go to the zoo or the county fair. I could not go where I do without tilt to adjust my seat to the slope I travel.

Enjoy.
    C 5/6 Comp.
    No Tri's or hand function.

Far better it is to try mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure. Than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much or suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows neither victory or defeat.

Teddy Roosevelt

I simply push through the spring-loaded doors with my foot plates and tip of my shoes! If for some reason that doesn't work, I simply back up through them.

Quote Originally Posted by anban View Post
    I simply push through the spring-loaded doors with my foot plates and tip of my shoes! If for some reason that doesn't work, I simply back up through them.
    That is the easy part. My concern is for doors that open outward toward the chair.

Quote Originally Posted by SCIfor55yrs. View Post
    That is the easy part. My concern is for doors that open outward toward the chair.
    I have a hell of a time opening the door type you mentioned, and they are on the doors of my condo building so I have to do it daily. I sort of pull them open a bit and then try to jam my elbow in the opening and push it with my elbow at the same time I am trying to maneuver the joystick. It is far from a well executed ballet, but after several small fishtails I manage to make it through. So glad to know your shoulders are appreciating your chair. Maybe next time I will have to push for height adjustment too.

There's no electronic doors on your condo Eileen?? We have that - the seniors pushed for it - front and back.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12