Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What do you do for work?

What do you do for work?

I havent gone back to work yet but I am wanting to soon. I managed an apt. complex but now in a chair I dont know if I should go back or go to school and do something else. I was wondering what you guys do for work.

i advocate for the cure

rewarding but pay sucks

well payday will feel priceless
    http://justadollarplease.org/

2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member

"You kids and your cures, why back when I was injured they gave us a wheelchair and that's the way it was and we liked it!" Grumpy Old Man

.."i used to be able to goof around so much because i knew Superman had my back. now all i've got is his example -- and that's gonna have to be enough."

If you have the resources - GO TO SCHOOL.

I see in your profile you are still a young man. Chase your dreams, follow your heart. I'm enjoying my summer, but I can't wait for school to start.

ali-w, I moved your thread to Work, School,& Money.

Good luck.
    The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit the bottom
    --General George Patton

Complex problems need to be solved collectively.
    ––Paul Nussbaum
    usc87.blogspot.com

I was a 911 dispatcher and now i am in charge of the center

<sarcasm/truth/ect mode 'on'>
    Overpaid unionized dead weight. They (company) dont know how to incorporate what little we do into the big picture, so I and my coworkers are amazingly still employed. Good thing we generate a ton of $$ so we're sorta-safe.
    <sarcasm/truth/etc mode 'off'>

Blog Entries
    I was 46 when I got paralyzed in March '93, and I started school in January '94 at the local community college. I now have an AA, BA, MS, and am working on a second MS. I have been at the University of Massachusetts for 15 years. Besides working on the degree, I teach 2 classes, maintain the computer lab, am the webmaster for the department web site, and make maps for publication in books - 13 at last count. In my spare time, I build computers for anyone in the department, and am the resident GIS expert.

It's way more fun than working.
    Don - Grad Student Emeritus
    T3 ASIA A 26 years post injury

I work in a call center, but I am also starting back to school in about 2 weeks and trying to pursue a degree in OT.

Shooting for a job as a gate guard towards the end of the month. I also signed up for a class this fall. It's a start.

As of yesterday, I do network administration and in-house IT support for a large telco (my employer is actually an even larger consultancy firm, from which I am on loan to this telco company until further notice).

It's sort of a 'temporary' gig, I hope -- the kind of 'day job' people do while figuring out how to make some idea that's been smoldering for years work commercially.

If I end up working there for ten years (maybe even longer), I won't be sorry. But my long-term plans probably involve working for myself, as either a software developer or a freelance writer.

ETA: If you've never been in college, make this an opportunity to change that. You'll learn a lot, mostly despite the curriculum, and even if you decide after four years that you're sick and tired of the field you've chosen and want to spend (the rest of) your career doing something completely different, having that college degree on your resume will greatly improve your chances of landing any halfway decent job.
    Last edited by Saranoya; 08-13-2011 at 02:36 PM.