Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2 year old and not listening

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by swimcrankpush View Post
    I have a 4 and 6 year old, I was worried about them taking off on me but I really worked hard on letting them know a safe place around me for when we go out.

They are smart and know that I can't get every where heck they have thrown stuff down to block me.

I work with a countdown they have until 3 to come to me sometimes is a very slow 3 but that works and have been doing that for so long they come, they know not coming is worse then coming at the time.
    I give 5 for the 4 year old. I've "raised" 4 girls now working on a 9 and 4 year old nephew. Boys are different.

All know if I can't see you and I count to 5 it's bye bye Dora or whatever is popular on NickJr. at the time.

I've ignored the you can't get me thing as they eventually come out when ignored. Your tone will tell them if they're in danger and they'll come out fast.

With the 9 year old and his buddies I've told them they cannot be seperated by 6 feet and if I can't see you I'm getting on the loudspeaker. So far so good...
    Get involved in politics as if your life depended on it, because it does. -- Justin Dart

I shall not tolerate ignorance or hate speech on this site.

Quote Originally Posted by MSWIFE1 View Post
    Yep my two year old granddaughter right there too! It will pass. You have to admit even when she is being rotten she is so stinking cute. Its hard to stay mad.
    Kids are like pets the only people who think they are so stinking cute are their parents/owners. Keep that in mind when they are acting up in public.

Blog Entries
    The only advice that I would add is try not to give ultimatums (ultimatii?), but when you don't *ever* back down. They have to learn from the start that when you say/threaten something you will always follow through. My sister-in-law always made hollow threats, and her kids stayed in their terrible twos until they were about 18.
    Don - Grad Student Emeritus
    T3 ASIA A 26 years post injury

my little brothers did that. the youngest did it once. i told him if he didnt come on his own by the count of 3 and behave he'd get a spanking on the bottom. he didnt come, so i sat and ignored him and eventually he got hungry and came down, and so i stopped him and said "what did i say would happen if you didnt come by the count of 3?" and he said "i'd get a spanking" so he got 2 spanks on the bum and i never had him do it again. same with poor behavior in the store, i gave him the warning (he was 4 that time) and he didnt stop within the countdown and so he got 2 spanks in the store. the next time he did i said "do you want a spanking?" and he said no and quieted down. once he was quiet i asked why he was upset. he got teary and said he was thirsty. so it turned into a lesson on how to ask for things without crying. i shared my juice with him and again, no more incidences. he is 8 now and absolutely great!

what i am saying is with kids they do need boundaries. clear ones, and clear consequences if they go outside of them, especially if it's for safety issues. and don't do it out of anger as you never want them to be afraid of you.
    "Smells like death in a bucket of chicken!"
    http://www.elportavoz.com/

Blog Entries
    Absolutely, the other thing is never do any discipline when you are angry - don't wait that long.

I live in a country where it is forbidden by law to spank and even scream to the children and it is possible to teach them things without spanking or screaming Talk to them and explain them things and if they don't listen take one of their favorite things away for a week.
    TH 12, 43 years post

You live in a screwed up country , with too many libs.
    oh well

Quote Originally Posted by kenf View Post
    You live in a screwed up country , with too many libs.
    No, this country is not screwed up, the economy is good and no unemployment. The only things that are bad is the accessibility and the weather. And too long waiting lists in hospitals and for equipment where I am living, but here in Oslo the conservatives have the power, not the Labour party.
    TH 12, 43 years post

Blog Entries
    Good comeback,Bente!