Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tread Mill

Tread Mill

Has any 'complete' injuy ever recovered walking by treadmill type exercise? It seems unlikely

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Paddon View Post
    Has any 'complete' injuy ever recovered walking by treadmill type exercise? It seems unlikely
    I know several people who were "complete" and recovered walking. Although they used treadmill initially, it is not clear that the treadmill was responsible. Treadmills may be useful for initial step-training but eventually locomotor training must shift to overground walking. I think the locomotor training is necessary but not sufficient for locomotor recovery for most people with "complete" spinal cord injuries.

Several studies suggest that 5-15% of people with ASIA A classified injuries recover unassisted walking. In China, as many as 50% of people with ASIA A spinal cord injuries recovered unassisted walking after they received intradural decompression and intensive locomotor, which was mostly overground walking and did not use treadmills. Until randomized controlled clinical trials are done, it is not possible to judge the cause-effect relationship between the different therapies and the outcomes.

Wise.

Dr. Young, can you please explain what is intradural decompression? I have titanium plates and a cage protecting my spinal cord. Could I be a candidate for intradural decompression? How can it be diagnosed? Is it only effective when done early after injury? Thanks.

Wow - after what time frame Wise? Not after the first two years surely otherwise what does ASIA A mean?

I mean shouldn't we all have a go at this just in case? I've never had any controlled movements so I can't see how a treadmill could affect me.

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Paddon View Post
    I mean shouldn't we all have a go at this just in case? I've never had any controlled movements so I can't see how a treadmill could affect me.
    i used a treadmill with a lite gate and harness for a few months at sci-step.
    i am asia a complete. what they would do is start you out in a walking motion, leg moves back with treadmill, and sometimes i would get a reflex and the leg would pick itself back up and move forward. so thats how it works with no controlled movement. in my case anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Young View Post
    I know several people who were "complete" and recovered walking. Although they used treadmill initially, it is not clear that the treadmill was responsible. Treadmills may be useful for initial step-training but eventually locomotor training must shift to overground walking. I think the locomotor training is necessary but not sufficient for locomotor recovery for most people with "complete" spinal cord injuries.

Several studies suggest that 5-15% of people with ASIA A classified injuries recover unassisted walking. In China, as many as 50% of people with ASIA A spinal cord injuries recovered unassisted walking after they received intradural decompression and intensive locomotor, which was mostly overground walking and did not use treadmills. Until randomized controlled clinical trials are done, it is not possible to judge the cause-effect relationship between the different therapies and the outcomes.

Wise.
    I'm a t11 complete ASIA A Dr. Young do you think intradural decompression could help my recovery improvement?

Dr Young, what rehab places in china do you refer to which show this big improvement from Asia A from locomotor training pls? Are they open to accepting new patients or it is part of the official trial process? Thanks

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Young View Post
    I know several people who were "complete" and recovered walking.<snip> In China, as many as 50% of people with ASIA A spinal cord injuries recovered unassisted walking after they received intradural decompression and intensive locomotor, which was mostly overground walking and did not use treadmills. Until randomized controlled clinical trials are done, it is not possible to judge the cause-effect relationship between the different therapies and the outcomes.

Wise.
    Wise, Is this 50% of everybody having the decompression and intensive locomotor or 50% of a small study group ?

This sound too good! 50% ..Wow! I have BSS and I cant walk unassisted.