Thread: MRI results, but what do they mean?? Whats the difference??

Question MRI results, but what do they mean?? Whats the difference??

Hi all,
    I am new to this forum. I have been trawling through all the information here and it is great, have learnt more here than any where else!
    Ok, now for my question: Coming back from holidays two and a half yrs ago, I developed an ache in my neck, over the next week, the pain became unbearable and had travelled down my left arm. Eventually the pain eased, although, I was left with a reminder, numbness in my thumb and connecting two fingers. At the time, I had an MRI, these are the results:

Technique: Sagittal T1 -T2 imaging with axial T2 gradient and steady state image through cervical spine.
    Findings: There are broad disc osteophytis bulges at C3/C4, C4/C5 and C5/C6. These are central in location. At C4/C5 there is flattening of the cord and marked narrowing of the left C5 neural foramina. Cord signal is increased. At C5/C6 bulge is predominantly left paracentral location and there is a marked narrowing of both C6 neural foramina. At C6/C7 there is a left paracentral disc osteophytic bulge which is causing narrowing of the left C7 neural foramina.
    Summary: The appearances in keeping with marked degenerative change in the cervical spine leading to acquired spinal stenosis at C4/C5. There is evidence of myelomalacia in the mid cervical cord with some flattening of the cord shape and increased cord signal. There is marked narrowing of neural foramina bilaterally at multiple levels as described. This involves more roots on the left side than on the right.

Several months ago, the pain returned and it was decided that I would undergo a three level decompression. However after a second MRI, everything changed!!! I am soo confused.

Second MRI:
    In the cervical spine there is moderate chronic mid and lower cervical disc degenerative changes with shallow disc protrusion from c3/4 to c6/7 and with multi level bilateral foraminal narrowing. Dural sac indentation with minor cord flattening but no frank compression.
    There is focal myelopathy within the cervical cord but this is dorsal and midline extending over three vertebral levels. this would be highly atypical for compression myelopathy and other conditions typically causing high signal at this site include subacute combined degeneration of the cord with some other conditions including tabes dorsalls.

What are the differences in the two scans??
    I am in significant pain in my neck, shoulder and left arm. I have numbness/pins and needles in my left hand and fingers. A pulling sensation in my left leg, pain going from my neck up into my head and dizzyness. Am I going mad? What should I do? Please help

Blog Entries
    Urbanejojo,

Have you gotten any information about your neck pains and the differences between these two scans since starting this thread? I'd assume so since its been well over 2yrs since this thread was opened but the reason i'm asking is because i'm actually interested in knowing the results.

You can PM if you want to keep it private

The OP has not revisited our forum since 8/11/2011, so I suspect will not see this message nor your PM to them.

(KLD)