Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: the nature of msg brds

Farming was hard and I was not always happy about it when I was a kid. Looking back, I would not trade that childhood for anything. You get an education that is priceless. (Along with the blisters and scars. lol)
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

Quote Originally Posted by SCIfor55yrs. View Post
    Farming was hard and I was not always happy about it when I was a kid. Looking back, I would not trade that childhood for anything. You get an education that is priceless. (Along with the blisters and scars. lol)
    I agree wholeheartedly. I remember how beautiful the land was and how good you slept after exhausting yourself in the sun and soil. good stuff.
    An administrator made me remove my signature.

I'm glad I didn't last long at detassling corn as I had a horrible asthma attack - that shit was hard! Bugs, sweat and mud and heat! And never mind reaching the tassles as a kid!
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Blog Entries
    Lived on my uncle's dairy farm for 18 months when I was 9 or 10, and he still used horses and manpower (1955). I remember cutting corn with a hand sickle and throwing it on the wagon. My older cousins threw hay up on the wagon with pitch forks, and then up into the haymow, I was too small but helped move it once up in the mow. My brothers and I had a wonderful time - we were never bored.

We used to help with the evening milking, and hoeing out the stalls, and my daily job was to split the firewood and keep the woodbox in the kitchen full. My uncle paid me for doing that for a year by buying my cub scout uniform - I was never prouder of any of my clothes than that uniform.
    Don - Grad Student Emeritus
    T3 ASIA A 26 years post injury

Quote Originally Posted by lynnifer View Post
    I'm glad I didn't last long at detassling corn as I had a horrible asthma attack - that shit was hard! Bugs, sweat and mud and heat! And never mind reaching the tassles as a kid!
    i avoided that and walking beans by working summers at the local facility for disabled ppl (my mom was sw there) and being campfire girls counselor at camp hantesa, boone, iowa. no rattlers in my part of iowa, tg, as i slept in woods w/campfire kids, no tent. only rattlers i ran across were on our trips to colorado. most i worried bout was rabid coons and they showed up in daytime. although my sleeping bag and those of my girls' were walked over by lil critters of the night

hasn't this this thread taken a pleasant stroll down the halls and fields of our memories! anybody go to 1 room schoolhouses?
    Last edited by cass; 08-12-2011 at 12:34 AM.

now yer all talkin my language

Cass I went to a little old red schoolhouse

Time flies

hug's
    GL

I also wouldn't trade my rural lifetime. I remember riding on the backboards of my dad's wheat drill. The old tractor he had was just an open one seater with no cab. Eventually he upgraded and added an umbrella. LOL We spent many days picking corn and irrigating out of crooked steel tubes and then upgraded to the sock variety. Long hard days out in the field and garden and then it was off to the kitchen for canning. Before long it was calving, castrating and branding time with the cattle. Actually, some of the sweetest and most meaningful lessons in my life all took place on the farm. I wouldn't trade a moment of it for anything.

After working long, and hard in those fields all day long, it was a relief to get back to the house and take a bath! The old farm house had no bathroom and no running water. There was a pump in the kitchen. My grandmother would have the big wash tub ready for me. I can still see her standing there with the boiling kettle of water pouring it into the tub. The hard part was the last rinse......all cold water! lol

Then it was time for a good old fashioned farm supper! Can you hear the dinner bell ringing outside calling everyone to the table?

I did'nt go to a one room school house, they expanded by the time I got there and all eight grades had a room of there own. Mine had originally been a four room school. In those days, the Amish did'nt have any schools of their own, so I went to school with the local Amish kids too. We had a cracker jack softball team!
    Last edited by smokymtn memories; 08-12-2011 at 10:58 PM.

Hi smokymtn memories

I love your writing style my my my you reminded me of some special moments I remember them ol wash tub's and my grandmother sometimes rang her triangle bell thing outside to get us kid's attention for her great suppers ...

When I was very young my grandparents put me in charge of the chickens and ducks & their fresh eggs
    My family lived together on a big ol wooded spread of land over 2 blocks long just my family , cousins for as long as your eyes could see , some had cattle , my Great grandmother got rammed in her back by a mean ol billy goat putting Great Grandmother in a wheelchair for the rest of her life .

I can still smell the fresh homemade apple pies and cookies they made for us ...