Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: handcyclei

handcyclei

I have been considering getting a handcycle to get more excerise my question is will. It help me lose weight? What r some benifits to using one

IMO, it can be a great tool for helping to lose weight. I have lost at least 30lbs since getting mine a couple of years ago.

The main thing that the handcycle did for me was allow me to get outside and get a cardio workout. It simply made me a healthier person.

It alone did not make me lose weight though. The more I exercised the hungrier I got. I just ended up eating more and did not lose weight.

I took up sitsking. This helped me lose weight more than anything. It was not the exercise though. I could not pick myself up after falling weighing as much as I did. I so wanted to be independent skiing, that I changed my diet.... and did exercise more regularly. I pictured what I wanted to be and tried to keep that in my head.

The weight came off slow, intentionally, and it is staying off.

So from my perspective, a handcycle can be great. You may need some other motivator, like I did. It certainly does not have to be skiing.

Finding someone else to ride with might be the thing to help with the will and getting out.

Good luck. Being in shape does make dealing with some disabilities easier.
    Adaptive Sports Forums.com
    http://adaptivesportsforums.com
    Non-commercial adaptive sports user community

I know for me this spring when I got mine just building and setting up the crank height and position was motivation enough to change my diet and get more active. Reason being - my damn quad gut almost touched the crank! I never felt so fat in my whole life. After a few weeks of hardcore weight-training, quad rugby and hand cycling, on a no-fat no sugar diet, I had run myself ragged. But the belly did diminish. After my holiday in the mountains I feel fat again, but I know it's just because I pigged out and hadn't been training. I was back o the grind today, feel rejuvenated. Hand cycling is addictive, buy one and you'll love it. As far as losing weight goes - IMO only diet can do that, truthfully I think I've gained muscle mass from riding.

Thanks for your replies. I am very seriously considering one. But I'm worried about how much more damage will it do to my shoulders

What's your level Dis. What is your exercize regime now? I've got bigtime torn shoulders, rips, tears, and complete biceps torn off the longhead. With proper setup and routine, the handcycle will do more good than harm.

You may want to think in terms of the harm not riding the cycle; better cardio, motility, overall fitness both mental and physical. There's nothing that pumps me up more than coming off a good ride.

For me, when I think of the negative effects of something over the benefits,it's usually my insecurity talking. If you're not sure, try one out first before buying. If you are concerned about riding the roads and trails, there are some great indoor trainers that will work also.

Quote Originally Posted by dispatchjen View Post
    Thanks for your replies. I am very seriously considering one. But I'm worried about how much more damage will it do to my shoulders
    I'm addicted to handcycling and i don't even have one yet! I too am worried about the damage to my shoulders but read a thread, here CCC, about someone who installed Qrings. He has pain in his shoulders after a ride, blown shoulders, and the pain was after installing the Qrings. When I buy a hand cycle, Qrings are going to be my first upgrade.
    Never Give Up!

I won't be able to try one out before buying. Where I live no one has anything like this....I live in a very rural town in Alabama so when i do get one i will have to purchase it and then try it. I already have problems with my shoulders hurting that is why im worried that a h/c will do more harm.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Madsen View Post
    With proper setup and routine, the handcycle will do more good than harm.

You may want to think in terms of the harm not riding the cycle; better cardio, motility, overall fitness both mental and physical. There's nothing that pumps me up more than coming off a good ride.

For me, when I think of the negative effects of something over the benefits,it's usually my insecurity talking.
    Pat's been at this 35+ years. But from a rookie's perspective I completely agree with all of this. It is a different muscle set than doing transfers and pushing a wheelchair. Get a bike with an adjustable-position crank and find your sweet spot. Slow, methodical training will likely nurse your shoulders back from the brink. As Chef was saying a good upgrade would be the q-ring crankset to lessen shoulder fatigue, I'm ordering them today.

And he's not kidding about the mental health factor. I was close to insanity after coping through the crazy winter here this year, all I had was my rugby and needed something I could blow off steam with on my own time. Handcycling has been so therapeutic for me, when I'm on it I'm not "that poor guy in the wheelchair". I become "that crazy idiot on the weird looking thing" sticking my chest out flirting with every woman I see.

fwiw, this is my setup - the hydraulic mechanic lift gets me back in my chair.

Good looking bike T. It looks like one of the newer frames that goes back farther than the previous model frame. Since you've been riding, you have the expertise to gt the Q's. With Dis, she may want to wait til she's convinced that she is going to ride. They are an expensive upgrade, esp. if one hasn't tried one yet.

Dis, is it flat where you live or fairly mountainous with hills? What's your injury level? Injury level allows us to get a better idea of the bike that would maximize your potential.