Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Service dog question

We have a related problem in that when Chad takes his dog out for a walk in the neighborhood without me, he obviously cannot pick up the goods. But when he gets back, he tells me where the dog went, and then I hop on my bike and go pick it up. Thankfully, 95% of the neighbors know him (he's kinda hard to miss and rather unique) and we've so far never been hassled about him not picking it up, even though I would bet that no one knows that I actually come back and pick it up later, and still no one complains. I hope the resident can quell complaints from the board - I just don't understand why people have to be so petty and mean spirited.

I would think something like this might be ideal, combined with a reacher to pick the poo up. (a designated reacher, not used for other things). These can be flushed so the tenant can bring them inside and flush without having to worry about a build up of stinky bags.

http://flushpuppies.com/g/?gclid=CMu...FQHf4Aodaloq6A

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
    I would think something like this might be ideal, combined with a reacher to pick the poo up. (a designated reacher, not used for other things). These can be flushed so the tenant can bring them inside and flush without having to worry about a build up of stinky bags.

http://flushpuppies.com/g/?gclid=CMu...FQHf4Aodaloq6A

If the resident has sufficient hand/ arm dexterity and function, I highly recommend the Scooper Genie. http://www.scoopergenie.com/#Testimonials. It's used by many service dog handlers with great success. Note, I have no personal or financial interests in the company -- I'm just a satisfied user. In 21 years of having service dogs, it's the first piece of equipment that has allowed me to be totally independent! As others have stated, the dog must be leashed when doing its business. Good luck!

Just suggested to someone else on CC....try to get a copy of the article on service dogs in the latest issue of New Mobility magazine.
    It appears there are new guidelines for the definition of service dog. Apparently "emotional" support/companion animal are no longer in the definition, so I'd be careful about using the term "service dog" for the animal in question.

Can the resident arrange for someone to walk her dog to the designated area and pick up the waste? This might be done for a small fee. It would also allow the doggie some exercise.

My understanding is that a certified service dog is not allowed off leash outdoors.

ADA actually says if the disability prevents use of a leash or prevents the duties of the dog it can be off leash but must be controlled by voice. Off the leash is not an issue, she can manage that.

The dog picks up dropped things and alerts her to drops in blood sugar and blood pressure. So yes it is a service dog. However the dog is old and needs to retire (in my opinion). The dog has recently had surgery as well and needs to use the bathroom as close to home as she needs it to. It has been over 100 degrees, the woman is in her upper 70s and there is no reason she sholud have to hike up the hill to let her dog poop when there is a yard right outside her door, just because the property manager feels a need to control everything. She cleans up after the dog and the neighbors are homebound and are not running around in the grass anyway.
    Someone to walk the dog for a fee is not an option. This is very low income housing.
    I think it is petty to write her a lease violation for this.
    Thanks for the opinions
    If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.

Sometimes it is easier to widen doors than it is to open minds.

http://www.ada.gov/service_animals_2010.htm

You may be referring to this statement Dogs whose sole function is to provide comfort or emotional support do not qualify as service animals under the ADA.
    This dog does more than that so it qualifies. She also has a doctor letter.

Under the ADA, service animals must be harnessed, leashed, or tethered, unless these devices interfere with the service animal’s work or the individual’s disability prevents using these devices. In that case, the individual must maintain control of the animal through voice, signal, or other effective controls.
    If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.

The homemaker services waiting list here is 3 years long. I am constantly begging these church people and others in the community to help out, help them with laundry, cleaning, drive them to the dr, the grocery, etc. There are very few services available in my state, and even worse in my county. There are 60 residents who live here. all over 62 and low income.

Addiesue, you are so right about services and help in our state.......it's impossible to find.

Smoky Have you ever applied for the options program? You might qualify, but the wait is LOOOOONG.
    http://www.tn.gov/comaging/living.html
    Might as well get on the list.