Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: london riots

I just saw it on the evening news, it seems bad...
    TH 12, 43 years post

<cringe> I just got an e-mail today telling me that Paralympic tickets go on sale next month. I want to go watch wheelchair rugby, but after seeing that injured bloodied kid get robbed on BBC I'm having second thoughts. The working-class youth in England seem fucked, and I grew up with gangs and drugs all around me. I just picture myself laying on the sidewalk while some punk rolls off with my stuff. Kids....

It's now happening in my city (Birmingham), and other places. I'm so disappointed and afraid.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-14449675

so they're blaming BBM msg'ing, trying to get RIM to help the Feds. I say go after the parents of all the youth, no matter their age. Let's see what these thugs think about their mothers electricity getting cut off. Maybe they'd have second thoughts about their "activism".

I suspect they are feeling really alienated and disenfranchised. There's a precedent for this...This is pretty much exactly the situation that brought us punk rock in the horrible economy of the mid-to-late 70's.

IMO.

Keps, I'm sorry. Have they hit Manchester yet?

NM, I watched your link. That bunch cleaning up should be somewhat heartening, yes?

ETA: I love England, y'all have survived much worse.
    Last edited by betheny; 08-10-2011 at 09:36 AM.

Manchester was bad last night. My apartment smack in the middle of it, came through the gathering crowds on way home from the office, was tense and ominous.

This is the kind of thing that was happening about an hour later.

Everywhere boarded up tonight and everything has closed early. It's 5.30pm and eerily silent. Keep hearing rumours that there's pockets of violence all over the city but nothing confirmed as yet.

I have wine and lots of food to keep me company.
    C5/6 incomplete

"I assume you all have guns and crack....."

You know what that means! Prices are insane!
    And the truth shall set you free.

Quote Originally Posted by betheny View Post
    I suspect they are feeling really alienated and disenfranchised. There's a precedent for this...This is pretty much exactly the situation that brought us punk rock in the horrible economy of the mid-to-late 70's.
    Thankfully Beth the motivation behind this seems to be pure greed and vandalism rather than the making of any meaningful political statement.

Having watched the chasm between the haves and have nots widening fast over the last decade tho' I'm very surprised that people haven't taken to the streets!

Keps and Paul please be very very careful!

Remember Paul missing a day at work is better than being knocked out of your chair and having your cath. kit nicked!

From what I gather, it's been quieter in Birmingham tonight, but there are more police about. I live about 6 miles from the city centre, where most of the trouble here was. I felt afraid it would move closer.

Paul, I would have been pooping myself in your place, not drinking wine!