Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: stroke

I think no but I was taken aback and focused on getting a response so I couldn't say. Eyes rolled up to right, droop on right, clenched teeth, vision black , no nausea, no headache, right arm shaking. skin didn't stand out to me. He's home from hospital, very tired, feels worse than when he went in. Drs aren't concerned, I guess. He mentioned that the nurse said he was having silent AD...he's been so very healthy it has really shaken us up and is probably insignificant...
    "We only become what we are by the radical and deep-seated refusal of that which others have made of us."~~Sartre

The only thing that seems to apply (to us), in the disgharge papers is supine hypertension....210/140 very low pulse so I'm going to do a search on the care site and see what applies. He hates the hospital now even more than before; it's so much easier at home because he knows how to take care of himself and the hospital has rule...such as he was sweating really bad 15 after being turned but they wouldn't turn him because they have a policy of only turning once an hour?! Can this be true? But yes I will go ahead and take him if it happens again.
    "We only become what we are by the radical and deep-seated refusal of that which others have made of us."~~Sartre

Quote Originally Posted by marie2 View Post
    I think they are going with a dx of orthostatic hypotension. His bp has always been so stable and the same that we have never taken it at home. He has been in the VA SCI since monday and had some tests. But now...he is flushed red all the time, his bp is 165/117 ish (varies) lying down and higher than his normal 90/70ish sitting. He is really concerned about the lying down bp so he is sitting up every 15 min and doing his arm exercizes. He has a pressure sore on his ischium which is why he has been in bed. They told him to stay in bed as much as he could to heal it but didn't say anything about orthohypo bp. Probably because his bp was always the same sitting up or down. He has never fainted in the 35 years we've been married. He refused to go to the ER and has been lectured by me, his bro the EMT, and his PA! I have never felt I should roll over him and make him do something *when he is clearly in possession of his faculties*. That is a whole other discussion and guess a problem when the spouse is the attendent...2 conflicting roles IMHO.
    What did the doctors who diagnosed orthostatic hypotension suggest as treatment? Did they give him medication? If they suggested either Fludrocort and/or Midodrine, you must be very careful about when it is administered. These medications should not be taken in anticipation of lying down or staying in bed.
    I think I would be more concerned about the lying down blood pressure that is 165/117 than the fact that his blood pressure drops to your husband's normal range when he sits up. That in itself is pretty normal for anyone and especially so for many with spinal cord injury. Sitting or lying down that blood pressure is worrisome. While your husband is on bed rest to heal the pressure sore, try to figure out a way that he can raise his head a little while staying off the sore (propping with pillows), make sure he stays well hydrated and consider some compression stockings or talk to your doctor about an anti-embolism leg device known as Intermittent Pneumatic Compression Device (IPCD). A pump provides intermittent cycles of compressed air which alternately inflate the single-chambered air garments. The compression applied on the extremity augments venous blood flow velocity.

Hope you find some solutions. Take care of both of yourselves.

All the best,
    "GJ"

No meds and that was meant to read *after 15 mins* they wouldn't turn him.

Were the doctors that treated your husband at the hospital cardiologists? Do you have access to a cardiology practice? I think your husband needs to be seen and followed by a cardiologist instead of waiting for the next incident to happen.

All the best,
    "GJ"

Thank you GJ, no cardiologist but a follow up with neurology Monday. His bp has settled down but is significantly higher than normal. But I'm assuming most high level injuries have historically low bp.