Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: stroke

stroke

If you are on bedrest (prone) for a pressure sore are you more likely to have a stroke? And can a faint look like a stroke? I think my husband had a TIA and he thinks he should get up more in order to prevent having one...just in case.
    Last edited by marie2; 08-06-2011 at 11:03 PM. Reason: more detail
    "We only become what we are by the radical and deep-seated refusal of that which others have made of us."~~Sartre

He knows he had a Tia so he is going to get up more and go to the dr on Monday.
    "We only become what we are by the radical and deep-seated refusal of that which others have made of us."~~Sartre

I'm relieved that h e is Marie. It is known that anyone who sits or lays down for long periods of time have a chance for an embolism
    or stroke to happen due to the sudden change in blood pressure or blood clot.
    Please keep us informed if you would. Stay strong girl.

I don't know anything about TIA other than it would be difficult to self-ascertain if one has had it or not with paralysis.

Knowing that it could lead to a stroke at any time, I think I would get it checked out ASAP as in your closest hospital emerge, no?
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

It was clear to those of us who saw his face/response etc. EMTs checked him out and things looked ok by then but he decided to save his brain instead of his behind. We are calling his NP at the VA SCI tomorrow. The attack lasted about 3 mins. I guess like a lot of people I come on here and ask questions because the experience pool is so huge and specific. Thank you for your response.

A TIA can occur from high BP and low PR, or low BP and high PR and mine are about as suttle as a frieght train taking a dirt road. Hands and feet will swell up and turn blue, pain down arm and legs and head ache. Changing position can cause a TIA. Orthostatic hypotension or Supine hypertension from lack of activity. Do you take BP and PR regularly?

Joe

Hello,

Here are the risk factors for stroke
    http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/str...N=risk-factors

Immobility (lack of movement or prolonged bedrest) is a risk factor. I am glad you are checking with your medical provider.
    Keep us posted.
    AAD

I think they are going with a dx of orthostatic hypotension. His bp has always been so stable and the same that we have never taken it at home. He has been in the VA SCI since monday and had some tests. But now...he is flushed red all the time, his bp is 165/117 ish (varies) lying down and higher than his normal 90/70ish sitting. He is really concerned about the lying down bp so he is sitting up every 15 min and doing his arm exercizes. He has a pressure sore on his ischium which is why he has been in bed. They told him to stay in bed as much as he could to heal it but didn't say anything about orthohypo bp. Probably because his bp was always the same sitting up or down. He has never fainted in the 35 years we've been married. He refused to go to the ER and has been lectured by me, his bro the EMT, and his PA! I have never felt I should roll over him and make him do something *when he is clearly in possession of his faculties*. That is a whole other discussion and guess a problem when the spouse is the attendent...2 conflicting roles IMHO.

oh... no swelling of his limbs etc.

Marie2,

I forgot to add that my face turns white as a ghost (pallor) when this happpens to me. Is that what you saw? I can lay on my side longest, then stomach, then on my back I have the shortest time before Supine Hypertension.

Joe