Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: HELP...Wheelchair Racing!!!

Which marathon are you running?

28darline

I've done the Chicago marathon a few times and its a great course so enjoy it. If 10.4 miles is the longest you have gone so far you need to start looking at increasing your long "pushes" on a weekly basis fairly soon since the marathon is 2 months away. The sites and tips Katja gave are good. Here's a few basic tips/thoughts for any marathoner that someone shared with me when I first started:

- Your goal in your first marathon should be to finish - do not worry about time

- Over train and you won't make it to the start, under train and you won't make it to the finish

- Take what the course/day gives you especially for your first marathon. If you are training at a certain level (say 5 minute miles) and on the day of the race you are slower than this don't worry about it. Take what is coming. If you are slower than what you have been training and at mile 15 or 16 you try to "catch-up" you can really burn yourself out not finish.

- You set personnel records (called PRs) in the last 6 miles of a marathon typically. Take what the course gives you over the first 20 and if you are really feeling good kick it up over the last 6.2 miles

- Make certain you do a nice taper. Tapering is where you don't push much in the last 2 weeks (or longer) before the marathon. Seems strange but the rest helps a lot. If you are not ready 2 weeks before the marathon trying to do a 20 mile workout a week before the marathon will not help.

Steve

I'm assuming its the Chicago marathon since you live in Chicago and its in October but it could another one. If it is Chicago be prepared for anything from 90 degree weather to snow.