Thread: any lawyers out there?

any lawyers out there?

I have no idea were to post this let alone the right website hahaha....

OK I have a 2010 VMI Honda Odyssy which is my pride and joy for how much it cost. I was on the highway and came up behind a pilot car and a truck moving a mobile home. He was pulled over enough on the shoulder of the road to let traffic by. I was going to pass him a shingle blew off and bashed in my grille and hood, so we got the name of the trucking company and number and drove home and called them a couple days later.

The call went to their voicemail so I left a pleasant message cause it was a accident and they never called back over a week, called again and no answer, left another semi nice message and still no word.

The company is in a completly different province than me so it's not like I can track them down face to face. I had 3 qoutes done and it's $1000 of damage. How the hell do I handle this in a mature manor? The old me would find their trucks and do $2000 of damage..
    Mark 9:23 - All things are possible for those who believe.

Typically, here in the states, if it comes up from the road, ie: a rock, pebble, stick, etc. thrown up from their tire, it's your responsibility(a road hazard). Likewise, if it comes off their truck, truck bed, or trailer, it's their responsibility. The laws may vary where you live.

I'd call the police, explain what happened, and they should advise you as to what you need to do next.
    "It is every man's obligation to put back into the world at least the equivalent of what he takes out of it. Try not to become a man of success but rather try to become a man of value." - Albert Einstein

Is there a highway patrol system where you report incidents?

Have you talked to your insurance company? They generally will track down the perp and deal with their insurance company. Of course if they are not insured, you may also have the ability to file with the police. Did you do a police report anyway?

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Have you talked to your insurance company? They generally will track down the perp and deal with their insurance company. Of course if they are not insured, you may also have the ability to file with the police. Did you do a police report anyway?

(KLD)
    I never filed a police report. The incident happened in Saskachewan and I live in Alberta. I figured I by getting the trucking company's name they would handle this civil, but it turns out they are a small company trying to duck me.

I never thought about calling my insurance company and I didn't think about going to my local cop shop. Maybe the RCMP I guess.

Thanks for all the ideas guys..
    Mark 9:23 - All things are possible for those who believe.

Dewie, KLD is right , file an insurance claim and they will go after the company, the only problem that you might run into is that you did not file the report to the polce at the time, but they might own up t to the damage .
    Good luck
    Gary

I am a insurance agent in the U.S. and your insurance company will take care of it. From your description the insurance company will pay for the damage off of your collision coverage. They won't go look for the truck. The damage amount is to small.

Now the question is should you make the claim. The claim will go on your record as a at-fault due to your own insurance paying the claim. So if you have a high deductible you might not want to make the claim. Because your premium will go up. Now I don't know canadian law's so call your agent and tell him your inquiring about making a claim but your not sure you should.