Thread: need advice on a new wheelchair

need advice on a new wheelchair

I'm an active t10 para and I want to buy a new wheelchair. Price is not a concern I just want something that is going to last. I currently have a quicke Ti. Also, I wear a suit to work and during the wet season my sleeves get soaked - - any suggestions?

For materials that will last, titanium or magnesium. (Carbon fiber is the lightest, but people are reporting durability concerns.)

Some brands favored on this forum include (in no particular order) . . .
    Lasher
    TiLite (my personal favorite, but also the only brand I've ever owned)
    Oracing
    Icon (not proven yet, but promising)
    Top End

Some other favorite aluminum-only brands exist, but because you want durability, I didn't list them.

To keep your arms dry, how about fendered side guards and Wijits.
    Last edited by chasmengr; 08-05-2011 at 02:23 PM.
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Quote Originally Posted by hugheswf View Post
    I'm an active t10 para and I want to buy a new wheelchair. Price is not a concern I just want something that is going to last. I currently have a quicke Ti. Also, I wear a suit to work and during the wet season my sleeves get soaked - - any suggestions?
    I just bought fendered sideguards for my tilite for just this reason, will get them next week hopefully. Will post after I get them if they are worth the 500 bucks.

Quote Originally Posted by chasmengr View Post
    For materials that will last, titanium or magnesium. .
    Well, any chair well done will be for last, don`t really worry about if is titanium, aluminium, magnesium, etc.

The best material for last is titanium, so a full welded titanium box frame would be the best option, but usually the problems with the chairs don`t give it the frame, the problems comes with the uphostery, forks, bearings, backrest folding sistems, etc.

After titanium steel 4130 is a good option too, but heavy compared with titanium and specially with aluminium or magnesium.

So really if is a full welded chair any good brand will be for last, specially if is a box frame.

My favorite is Oracing of course, among others things because i`m an "Oracing guy" but forgetting Oracing i would go for a full welded Tilite TR, RGK Maxlite or Panthera U2 light, the problem of the panthera is that has the worst uphostery of them, but a good enough frame made in 4130 steel and very light.

So if you know all your specs and your preferences just go for a chair with less adjustaments as possible.

Don`t worry about the material, any material if is painted or anodized will get scratched the same, if is not painted the most hard to get scratched is titanium, after steel, aluminium(specially if is 7020 alloy) and magnesium.

Just having a look at the pic there are not much problems that could come to my mind, just scratches in your paint if you are not carefully with it, but you can change the paint every some years.