Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: so I went to file the FOIL, chick et al. Help!

so I went to file the FOIL, chick et al. Help!

for the cd re" the city council meeting and
    1. saw a member who actually stood when I spoke so i could see someone (they're on a dais) who said the sand in the dog park maybe because dogs get messy??

WTF!!

2. decide to use the potty....
    There's a sign in the lobby "Physically Challenged bathroom 4th floor"

go up...hmmmm...there's a door that looks like it might be an accessible bathroom (its a large door) but the knobs are round and there's no sign indicating it's a bathroom.
    So I wheel down the hallway which houses the city attorneys) pop my head into a secretary and ask where the bathroom is and from her desk she shouts
    "You need to knock on the telephone operator's door, she has a key"
    roll back down
    knock on the door
    "come in"
    I'm trying to manage another round knob and said ,"I'm trying (insert sing song voice)"
    "Oh!" she rises from this room of wires from 1960 and I say I need to use the bathroom.

She hands me a key on a makeshift wire hanger thing.

No way I'm going to open the door so she kindly does I enter and look around and skip the peeing part as it's a mess to even use when i realize ghessh I wonder if I'll have to stay in here as if I had locked the door I wouldn't have been able to open it.....

UGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So I'm furious and want to take a sign and sit outside City hall saying

"I can't pee here"

So I need a rational letter....oh and I'm assuming if I needed to pee at the meeting I would shit be out of luck as the telephone operator with the magic key as gone home!!!

How degrading..........
    Get involved in politics as if your life depended on it, because it does. -- Justin Dart

I shall not tolerate ignorance or hate speech on this site.

Sounds exactly like our recreational center. They put a concrete ramp up to the second story where the bathroom is. The ramp is outside the building and the door is always locked. Round doorknobs. I am so sorry. I hate fighting this stuff.
    If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.

Sometimes it is easier to widen doors than it is to open minds.

Quote Originally Posted by addiesue View Post
    Sounds exactly like our recreational center. They put a concrete ramp up to the second story where the bathroom is. The ramp is outside the building and the door is always locked. Round doorknobs. I am so sorry. I hate fighting this stuff.
    It truly is exhausting. The wierd thing is if I were advocating for someone else I'd be all over it.
    Get involved in politics as if your life depended on it, because it does. -- Justin Dart

I always want to hang signs around that say minorities are not welcome here at these places.

On a more successful note I went to a paid parking lot a month ago that had it's pay booth up a curb and a dumpster left in the hash marks. I wrote in and they called me today very apologetic and said they were putting ramps to all of them and were embarrassed about the dumpster. He said they will call me as they complete each one and would send me a pass to put on my windshield so I did not have to pay the rest of this year. This was nice, but it is in Louisville KY about 3 hours away!!! I doubt I will need to park there again for a while.
    If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.

Sometimes it is easier to widen doors than it is to open minds.

Congratulations on your success.
    I'm just dumbfounded and pissed.

Quote Originally Posted by Liz321 View Post
    It truly is exhausting. The wierd thing is if I were advocating for someone else I'd be all over it.
    You are. You can bet there are others in chairs who've been there, done that and didn't do a single thing about it except not go back.

"We are the ones we've been waiting for. We are the change that we seek."
    - Barack Obama

This reminded me of a friend of mine who got stuck in the bathroom at a government building in our county. Luckily he had paperwork with him that had the city desk's phone # and he had a cell phone. He called the front desk for help. It made the news & made them quickly change the pull weight & knobs on their doors!

"We are the ones we've been waiting for. We are the change that we seek."
    - Barack Obama

Thanks.
    Last edited by Liz321; 08-07-2011 at 12:36 AM. Reason: was thus post moved?

Grrrrr, the OKC courthouse is like this, except they have an old rickety elevator for "us", requires a key, nobody mans the buzzer where you request the key. And this is to get into the courtrooms themselves!

Never even tried the restrooms, I can only imagine.

With that said-Do I really want to wrangle w/ the PTB at the OKC courthouse/court system?

I'm not a criminal. I was there to deal w/ my husband's estate. But still...

I admire addiesue, always fighting thr good fight.

I have been to several courthouses in small towns like this. It is frustrating. When I went to community college one of the buildings (where the cafeteria was located) did not even have an elevator and the bathrooms were so small a chair could not get through the door leading into the bathrooms. This should not be reality in 2011.
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown