Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Marks on heels

Marks on heels

Started noticing a mark on my heel, just a bruise. But a few days later I checked and it looks worse like it is spreading, with other red marks showing up. I don't sleep on my back, I don't wear shoes except sandals which has no heel strap, so I'm not sure what is causing it. I even have two small round pencil size ones on the other heel. Any ideas? Will try and post pics later.
    'Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage" - Anais Nin

Do you bang them against something when you are transferring?
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

I have had the same problem resulting in 3 pressure sores over 10 years. Mine occured while sleeping. I now loft my heels with a triangular shaped pillow to keep all pressure off of them. Good luck!

What location on your heels? Is it the same location on both heels?
    If you have footrests with heel straps, they could be causing pressure on your bare heels.
    If you don't have heel straps and the pressure is on the bottom of your heels, are the soles of your sandals thick enough to prevent pressure transferring to your heels from a foot bar support?
    If you are a side sleeper and change from one side to the other, you might be getting pressure on your heels.
    Is there in the heel area of your sandals that is causing pressure?

All the best,
    GJ

Do you feet swell before this occurred?
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Thanks for the replies everyone.
    When i saw it a few days ago, i just thought i must of bumped them or hit them somehow, but couldnt think how. I have the same sandals for the last seven years (they are easy to put on ) and never a problem, my calf strap is higher then the marks, and i sleep on different sides every night but the marks arent even on the sides.

So i was just going to keep a eye on them and every time i transfer or do something i would watch them and see what they are doing, and make sure they aren't hitting (2 days ago). That's why i was shocked to see it worse last night. The back looks a bit swollen, but my feet always swell when i sit up, so i'm not sure if it's from the marks.

The marks are not in the same spot they range from the back of the heel to just underneath the ball. Could it be a fungus thing? (looks like pressure marks though) Here is a few pics from my phone.

'Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage" - Anais Nin

I think it is time to get them checked out by a pro. The focus is a little fuzzy, but it looks like there is a discolored (yellow, grayish?) right on your heel. That concerns me more than the red areas actually. If it is worse than it was yesterday with no known cause I urge you to seek medical advice so it doesn't get worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Hot_wheels View Post
    Thanks for the replies everyone.
    When i saw it a few days ago, i just thought i must of bumped them or hit them somehow, but couldnt think how. I have the same sandals for the last seven years (they are easy to put on ) and never a problem, my calf strap is higher then the marks, and i sleep on different sides every night but the marks arent even on the sides.

So i was just going to keep a eye on them and every time i transfer or do something i would watch them and see what they are doing, and make sure they aren't hitting (2 days ago). That's why i was shocked to see it worse last night. The back looks a bit swollen, but my feet always swell when i sit up, so i'm not sure if it's from the marks.

The marks are not in the same spot they range from the back of the heel to just underneath the ball. Could it be a fungus thing? (looks like pressure marks though) Here is a few pics from my phone.

So hard to tell from the pictures because some of the areas look like pressure, some like bruising, and the scattered spots in the last picture do look more like a skin irritation issue than either pressure or bruising. Any chance you have been bitten by something....seems like a far out suggestion though.
    If you have eliminated all external causes, then you need to start considering that these areas are caused by some health condition. Is there any chance you are diabetic and these are the beginning of diabetic ulcers? Then again, "lynnifer" brings up a good point about edema, which raises the question of skin discoloration and ultimately skin ulcerations that can occur. How is the circulation in your lower legs? Keep watching these areas for a few days and paying attention to where you feet are during transfers, while you are in the chair, and in bed. But, I think, if I were you, I would begin considering making an appointment with my primary care physician to begin a physical workup.
    All the best,
    GJ

Quote Originally Posted by Hot_wheels View Post
    The back looks a bit swollen, but my feet always swell when i sit up, so i'm not sure if it's from the marks.
    Whatever it is, I'd get it checked out before it breaks open because then you'll have a real mess on your ... feet! It's difficult to say if it's pressure because it's so many spots in different areas, but your heel does look red ... pictures are way out of focus. Hope the nurse chimes in.

Swelling (dependent edema) is never good for paralyzed limbs and can increase your chances of pressure sores.

You went swimming a week or so ago right or was that someone else?
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Do you spend alot of time wathing television in a recliner because the foot pads on many recliner sofa chairs are pretty cheaply made the cusion under the fabric can cause spots like that

Also sleeping if you are like me a yr ago or so my right heel got a small ulcerative pressure sore from a bad matress

Just trying to help

I hope you feel better
    Sincerely ;
    GL