Thread: Sudafed and Bladder

Sudafed and Bladder

My Uro has told me that Sudafed can help with leaking from the bladder neck. I have not bought sudafed for a few years before my accident back when you didn't have to show ID bc of meth. I wish I would of known to ask Uro but did not.

1) how long can you take it? Can not be good to take it everyday. Is there a prescription version so I would be able to get more at once?

2) apparently they sell one version with and w/o the ingredient that can be used as meth. Is that the ingredient that causes the bladder neck to tighten?

I take imimpramine but still have issues with bladder neck. Appreciate the help.

I think you should check back with your doc, Sudafed now contains phenylephrine rather than pseudoephidrine. No idea if phenylephrine has the same vasoconstrictive activity as pseudoephidrine. Lots of info in this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pseudoephedrine

I'd think your doc should be able to write you a prescription for it.

Hi,

It is the anticholinergic effect of sudafed which helps with the bladder neck. this is not a good solution long term. Sudafed can raise your blood pressure and that is why it is mainly used for less than a week at a time.

Have you spoken with your urologist to try other medications that can achieve bladder control such as oxybutynin or detrol?

AAD

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Hi,

It is the anticholinergic effect of sudafed which helps with the bladder neck. this is not a good solution long term. Sudafed can raise your blood pressure and that is why it is mainly used for less than a week at a time.

Have you spoken with your urologist to try other medications that can achieve bladder control such as oxybutynin or detrol?

AAD
    Thanks you both for the reply. In addition to the Imipramine I take Gelnique(topical version of oxy) but I think that is just for pressures. I have also had collagen injections twice but it hasn't really been taken well and only helped for a couple of week. Running out of options and really would not like to do any surgery or anything permanent.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the possibility of bladder function being more likely to return to a spastic bladder the not? Especially at a low level like T11/12 2.5 yrs post?

I took Sudafed for a sinus thing many years ago and I couldn't piss at all. It made my bladder sphincter "tighter than a bull's ass during fly season". My bladder became distended and I had to catheterize myself to empty it. This was wayyy back when I used a condom drainage system. I think using Sudafed is a bad idea.

Whatever it takes to keep pee inside my bladder unless I am trying to get it out