Thread: mac computers for a quad

Smile mac computers for a quad

any quads use them, im a c5 and im looking at going from pc to mac.

any pros and cons would be great...

I got my Mac Book Pro 3 months ago, gave up on my PC because of speed, security and dependability. I had to get Apple's Magic Mouse because I couldn't operate their pad very efficiently (also c-5/6). This mouse is awesome and has many cool features - it's must for us or any AB in my opinion.

I'm learning something every day on the Mac and each time I try something new, I find it's easier than my PC at work. The hard part is "un-learning" what you've done on a PC for so long.

My Mac has a voice recognition program that I'm still leanring, but haven't used yet. Seems like I don't want to go home after work and work some more, on any computer.

Overall, I love it and have dumped all my PC stuff at home in favor of this Mac. Next is an Ipad!!!!!

Can you use voice recognition on an iPad?
    Get involved in politics as if your life depended on it, because it does. -- Justin Dart

I shall not tolerate ignorance or hate speech on this site.

I've been a Apple/Mac person from the beginning 1982, so I don't have any bad habits to unlearn.
    I just replaced my old iMac (the one that kind of looked like a desk lamp-8 years old-I know it was time) with a a 21.5 inch iMac (Intel I5). I haven't installed Lion, the new operating system to date, although I have downloaded it. Some of my applications won't work on Lion and I am trying to decide what to replace them with, so meanwhile....
    Lion adds a lot more features to the Magic Mouse, but I doubt I will have the ability to do 3 and 5 fingers swipes. I did not get the track pad because NL has a 17 inch Power Book G4 and I find the track pad on that machine nearly impossible to use. I am still trying to decide what I can and cannot use and what to turn off or on in the Access menu.
    Read Walter Mossberg's review from the Wall Street Journal:
    http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...754609522.html
    and this review from my local newspaper:
    http://www.contracostatimes.com/busi...292?source=rss

I'm sure you will love the Mac, they are elegant machines.

All the best,
    GJ

GJ, I was online today with a Mac tech about my new 27 Intell 17. I asked him about the lion and he said he is personally waiting til the third party apps are written for Lion. My wife upgraded to Lion and had a heck of a time converting all her files that were Apple works etc. changred over. She had activated Lion before knowing most of her work would not open anymore. SHe was fairly freaked but the comp. savy daughter figured out a way to change over.

I've had Macs since 1982 also. I subbed in our local school dist. computer labs where both Macs and Pcs were used. PC's in my opinion were much more challenging.

If you are going to use Lion, make sure you convert all your files to the proper format first.

My son has a Mac Book. He's a c6/7 and loves it. He had voice rec. when he was first injured, but has been using a couple of his fingers since with no problems. We are all Apple users in this house and would never go back to PCs. Apples are way more expensive, but worth it IMHO. My IMac is 6 years old and no issues ever. My daughter has had her Mac Book for 6 years as well, no problems. Hope this helps!

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Madsen View Post
    GJ, I was online today with a Mac tech about my new 27 Intell 17. I asked him about the lion and he said he is personally waiting til the third party apps are written for Lion. My wife upgraded to Lion and had a heck of a time converting all her files that were Apple works etc. changred over. She had activated Lion before knowing most of her work would not open anymore. SHe was fairly freaked but the comp. savy daughter figured out a way to change over.

I've had Macs since 1982 also. I subbed in our local school dist. computer labs where both Macs and Pcs were used. PC's in my opinion were much more challenging.

If you are going to use Lion, make sure you convert all your files to the proper format first.
    I appreciate what you are saying about a go slow approach with Lion until there is more in the way of apps and software that is up to speed with the new operating system. I have read as many of the reviews as I have been able to find and they all have made that point one way or another. NL is still on her PowerBook G4 17 inch. She can't upgrade any further than the current 10.5.8 for that computer and some applications are not supporting that old operating system. That means we are looking to replace that computer with another 17 inch with the new configuration.

All the best,
    GJ

thanks everyone for there replys... im a bit concerned about using the mouse with my non existant finger movement.. ill go into a store nd gigve it a good play around

Check out: http://www.apple.com/magictrackpad/

Works fantastic for me.

i just bought a 17inch macbook pro y-day n love it - no fingers
    C5/C6 Complete since 08/22/09