Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Driving in North Carolina

your original question asks about getting hand controls installed by a dealer. the dealer is telling you that they require you to have a driving eval before they will install anything for you. it's not a matter of law but is their policy, which many dealers require as a cya.

Quote Originally Posted by russianboss View Post
    i do not have a NC license but i do have New York State valid license
    if you are living in NC, you will have to change your lisence. you could get the hand controls, and when you go to get your lisence changed imply that you have always had them. then maybe you wouldnt have to get a certification.

If you dont have a Nc lisence you wont be able to get a bank account in that state.

I am in sc, with a pennsylvania lisence, and cannot get a bank account, get my car registered, and other things because I am having trouble getting sc to accept my divorce papers. lucky guys dont change their names. I do know someone in north carolina who is having about the same problems as I, so it appears their laws and requirements are similar.

I concur, no cert needed in NC. Just practice with your hand controls in a big parking lot, then go take the road test. You'll need your NY license, birth certificate and cash or check. Not sure if you'll need to do written or not.

In Georgia, you have to be certified to get the equipment installed unless you do it yourself. I had to take a driving test but not a written test. I already had a license so there was not charge for the new license. I had to get certified as my insurance company required it to insure the modifications also. (Accessible lowered van.)

Good luck.
    Millard
    ''Life's tough... it's even tougher if you're stupid!'' -- John Wayne

illinois, and no, chicago is not anywhere near where i live
    how many people saying "certification is needed" were trying to get financial aid from a state/federal program? that's the only time I've heard of any classes or certification are needed.

You seem to be asking two separate questions.

"How can I get a dealer to install hand controls without obtaining a "certification" that I am qualified to drive with hand controls?"

"Is such a certification a legal requirement to obtain a North Carolina driver's license?"

As evidenced by previous posts, there is a lot of grey area.

I was still ambulatory when I showed up at the local Pennsylvania State Troopers Barracks to take the driver's test for my first license. The trooper at the counter noticed my rolling gait and questioned my ability to drive. A trooper in the background became interested in our conversation. He volunteered, "I'll take him out and see what he can do." I had been driving without benefit of license since I could reach the pedals of the trucks on Grandma's farm. In short order the trooper noted my mechanical skills were entirely adequate (no special equipment). I didn't do as well on the oral exam, but the trooper said he would pass me if I promised to brush up.

Returning to the barracks, the first trooper skeptically asked the examiner, "how'd he do?" The trooper who gave the test said simply; "he knows how to drive." I got my license. It was quite some time later that I discovered the small "c" that indicated that I had been issued a classified license. The classification on the back consisted of a note that stated "walks with a limp." Complying with the law, I never operated any motor vehicle without that limp.
    Foolish

"We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

"Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg

Quote Originally Posted by -scott- View Post
    I have a NC license. A driving test is required for everyone. I just used my car, which had hand controls in it already (moved here from VA, licensed there). The DMV folks didn't treat me any differently, nor did I tell them about anything in advance.

You don't legally need any special certification.

If your NY license is current it'll be easy.

But... have you driven with hand controls before?
    same here, just went to the office and handed them my va license, took the eye test and drove around the block and left with license
    We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
    Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by -scott- View Post
    I have a NC license. A driving test is required for everyone. I just used my car, which had hand controls in it already (moved here from VA, licensed there). The DMV folks didn't treat me any differently, nor did I tell them about anything in advance.

You don't legally need any special certification.

If your NY license is current it'll be easy.

But... have you driven with hand controls before?
    no i have not driven with hand controls, but i think i will get some portable ones and practice like others have suggested.
    c6/7 incomplete 6/30/07

whats that smell? its me, cause im the shit.

если я сейчас умру то нахуй я родился

Quote Originally Posted by jody View Post
    I am in sc, with a pennsylvania lisence, and cannot get a bank account, get my car registered, and other things because I am having trouble getting sc to accept my divorce papers. lucky guys dont change their names. I do know someone in north carolina who is having about the same problems as I, so it appears their laws and requirements are similar.
    You should be able to get a bank account with out a license, some local banks dont even need a social security #, i have a few paperless friends who got accounts.
    c6/7 incomplete 6/30/07

Thank you every one for your input, I'll get portable hand control, practice and hopefully get the license.
    c6/7 incomplete 6/30/07