Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 22

Thread: Driving in North Carolina

  1. #1

    Driving in North Carolina

    Hello, I am from North Carolina and want to start driving, i need to know what i need. I checked to get hand controls installed and they(hand control installer/dealer) said i need to get certified first, ok but to get certified its around $2000.
    So
    1: by law do i have to be certified to drive with hand control?
    2: I currently have a New York state valid license with no restrictions, if i go to dmv to get an NC license what will i need to get it?
    just gathering some info, seems just to start driving i would have to spend over $3500 for that certification and hand controls installed.
    thank you
    c6/7 incomplete 6/30/07

    whats that smell? its me, cause im the shit.


    если я сейчас умру то нахуй я родился

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Aiken, SC USA
    Posts
    2,121

    Driving In NC

    Cure Care is an excellent source of information, however, have you called the NC driver license folks? They know exactly what you need.

    When I lived in NC I was checked out by driving a car with hand controls. The rehab unit of the hospital charged me $140 for the certification.

    I thin went to my driver license bureau, took a driving test, passed, and issued a license with restrictions for hand controls.
    You C.A.N.
    Conquer Adversity Now

  3. #3
    Senior Member djrolling's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Salisbury NC
    Posts
    1,661
    Do you currently have a valid NC drivers lic? If yes you could buy a set of portable HCs and drive to the drivers lic place and do the road test and prove you can drive with them and they will add that restriction to your lic. I got hand controls on my car back in 1994 without any training and some how did not get the resrtriction on my lic till this last time I got my lic renewed, that was a screw up on the HPs part Will address this in more detail when I get home...

  4. #4
    Senior Member jschism's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    illinois, and no, chicago is not anywhere near where i live
    Posts
    2,167
    how many states require certification? I never heard if this, in Illinois you just put hand controls on and drive, nothing special has to be done.

  5. #5
    Senior Member forestranger52's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    From a small cabin in the big woods of The Allegheny National Forest, PA
    Posts
    1,643
    PA drivers test with hand controls. Restrictions on drivers license.
    C 5/6 Comp.
    No Tri's or hand function.

    Far better it is to try mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure. Than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much or suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows neither victory or defeat.

    Teddy Roosevelt

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by wazabiker View Post
    Cure Care is an excellent source of information, however, have you called the NC driver license folks? They know exactly what you need.

    When I lived in NC I was checked out by driving a car with hand controls. The rehab unit of the hospital charged me $140 for the certification.

    I thin went to my driver license bureau, took a driving test, passed, and issued a license with restrictions for hand controls.
    i havent called the dmv yet but i will.
    c6/7 incomplete 6/30/07

    whats that smell? its me, cause im the shit.


    если я сейчас умру то нахуй я родился

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by djrolling View Post
    Do you currently have a valid NC drivers lic? If yes you could buy a set of portable HCs and drive to the drivers lic place and do the road test and prove you can drive with them and they will add that restriction to your lic. I got hand controls on my car back in 1994 without any training and some how did not get the resrtriction on my lic till this last time I got my lic renewed, that was a screw up on the HPs part Will address this in more detail when I get home...
    i do not have a NC license but i do have New York State valid license
    c6/7 incomplete 6/30/07

    whats that smell? its me, cause im the shit.


    если я сейчас умру то нахуй я родился

  8. #8
    Regarding:
    "by law do i have to be certified to drive with hand control?"
    * No

    Regarding:
    "I currently have a New York state valid license with no restrictions, if i go to dmv to get an NC license what will i need to get it?"
    * A copy of your birth certificate
    * Your NY drivers license
    * If a driving test is required, a vehicle (yours or a borrowed vehicle) with hand controls so that you can successfully take the driving test

  9. #9
    Senior Member djrolling's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Salisbury NC
    Posts
    1,661
    Quote Originally Posted by russianboss View Post
    i do not have a NC license but i do have New York State valid license
    I would call the local drivers license office and tell them you use hand controls to drive, that you are from NY and want to know what you need to do to get your NC drivers license. If they tell you just come in and take the NC drivers license test and road test ( to demonstrate you can drive using hand controls). Then that is what I would do. If they tell you that you need some type of certification then so be it but that has not been my experience. I never got any training or anything. You can get a set of portable HCs for about $350 I think. I drove from 1994 to 2009 without a restriction on my license, but that was because they did not make me take a road test when I renewed my license. The people in the office should have done that since I rolled in in a wheelchair but either they were slack or the person that waited on me did not know what they were doing and I was not aware that I needed that restriction on my license since I used HCs.

  10. #10
    I have a NC license. A driving test is required for everyone. I just used my car, which had hand controls in it already (moved here from VA, licensed there). The DMV folks didn't treat me any differently, nor did I tell them about anything in advance.

    You don't legally need any special certification.

    If your NY license is current it'll be easy.

    But... have you driven with hand controls before?

Similar Threads

  1. Support in North Carolina
    By clomax in forum Life
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-02-2003, 04:58 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •