Thread: Push/pull brake quality ?

Push/pull brake quality ?

Hello All, I'm specing out a new set of brakes for a young lady. Her Tilite tr push/pull brake has broken.

I'm suggesting buying a set of Quickie Ergo scissor brake set instead of replacing with the Tilite push/pull.

She has some left hand strength issues, not too weak but some weakness, would the Quickie scissor brake work?

If she wants a push to lock pull to release type brake, which one would you recommend? Thanks , Pat

illinois, and no, chicago is not anywhere near where i live
    the quickie compact scissor for the Q7 are great and take little effort. they'e the ones Toto keeps talking about and I posted a video of how simple they are to use, they're idiot proof and not finger pinchers either. if a person can do the push pull, they can use these. i believe their "regular" ergo ones are simply a matter of if you want the handle forward or back, but it's still under the seat, whereas the Q7 compact aren't. they really are effortless to use
    Last edited by jschism; 08-02-2011 at 02:10 PM. Reason: add

Tilite Unilock

The best push pull break I have ever used is the Tilite Unilock. I currently use them on my TR. They can be mounted on either the upper or lower part of the frame. The handle can be mounted six different ways to get the best fit/function. Even when mounted on the upper part of the frame the handle can be mounted so that it is not in the way when transferring. They also hold much better than brakes that have a round piece pressing against the tire. I use mine with Marathon Plus tires, when the brakes are on the chair does not move at all when transferring.

Quote Originally Posted by jschism View Post
    the quickie compact scissor for the Q7 are great and take little effort. they'e the ones Toto keeps talking about and I posted a video of how simple they are to use, they're idiot proof and not finger pinchers either. if a person can do the push pull, they can use these. i believe their "regular" ergo ones are simply a matter of if you want the handle forward or back, but it's still under the seat, whereas the Q7 compact aren't. they really are effortless to use
    X2 - These brakes are VERY easy to use even for quads. I have had them on my Q7 for 18 months and love them. These brakes are no doubt the next generation brakes, no adjusting or slippage as long as you keep your tires properly inflated.

on my everyday chair, i used to have ds locks but had to change when i got the wijit wheels. i now have ordinary push/pull brakes (i think made by kuschall, a std option) set on the lower bar of my chair (a tilite tr). i am continually surprised at how well they work, and almost never need adjustment. they dont even slip when my tire pressure is low, which is probably why i keep forgetting to top up! i suspect it may have something to do with the angle of attack - when i push up on the tires with both hands, im not forcing the tire under the brake bar....... and because theyre down low, i dont hit them when i push.

on my backup chair (kuschall champion) i use the kuschall active brakes, which are like regular push/pull, but with a hinge on the brake bar so it swings out of the way when the brakes are disengaged. i wouldnt be able to use a cantilever-style chair without them. but they dont function as well as the low-mounted ones at all.

The Quicke scissors sound good but I like the TiLite Unilock. They are out of the way for transfers and I can engage them quickly while pushing up a hill which is handy for me in winter shoveling my drive. My previous chair was Crossfire w Invacare scissors - no matter how I adjusted them my chair would slide backward an inch or 2 while transferring which felt dangerous. With the unilocks my chair never moves doing the same transfers.

Blog Entries
    The other good thing about the Unilocks is the fact that when they are disengaged, they are far enough away from the tire that you can push past them without smashing your thumb.
    Don - Grad Student Emeritus
    T3 ASIA A 26 years post injury