Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: This heat is making me crazy

I'm sorry, zillas. Hadn't thought of temp swings, we certainly have them too. I'm in bed when it's tolerable outside!

One advantage to this year-no mosquitoes! Even in the river valleys in KS, where they usually swarm. The river done dried up...

We have had huge thunderstorms the last few nights with a lot of rain followed by hot days. It makes it like sauna soup the next day and Dave can't even breath. The heat index and dew point seldom this bad.
    The last time it was like this for as many days was August of 2000.
    Our wedding cake melted and after we went swimming in the lake.
    Dave lost his wedding ring in the lake about 5 hours after we got married!

Quote Originally Posted by LindaT View Post
    We have had huge thunderstorms the last few nights with a lot of rain followed by hot days. It makes it like sauna soup the next day and Dave can't even breath. The heat index and dew point seldom this bad.
    The last time it was like this for as many days was August of 2000.
    Our wedding cake melted and after we went swimming in the lake.
    Dave lost his wedding ring in the lake about 5 hours after we got married!
    I like your style...our wedding reception was at the lake. Catered by me, b/c who doesn't like sloppy joes, keg beer and pickled okra?

The $300.00 wedding.

Linda T-When did you get married? It WAS hot in August 2000. That's why I got in a fountain and broke my neck on the 5th!

Quote Originally Posted by skippy13 View Post
    And here I've been complaining that it is too cold and rainy to go camping this year. I cant control body heat, so it cannot get too cold at night. It is even worse than last year. I still have to wear a sweater in the house. It rarely gets above 70 or 80 in the aftrnoon and is in the mid to high 40's at night. In the winter we are in the 30's to 40's at night to 50's in the day. It has been a very cold non-summer.

I feel for you guys with the super hot temps, but wish you could share just a little of it for us. If it were over a hundred degrees for a month here, people would be dropping like flies. We are not used to it and only have hundred degree days a couple of times per year.
    skippy what about body and hand warmers, wool socks. that is how I managed not to freeze when I was a vagrant. Those things deer hunters buy. THey get hot when exposed to air. they arnt espensive, and some last 15 hours. they contain severay natural ingredients like iron dust, vermiculite, salt and water and when the packaged is opened the get warm.

I had one for my feet in the bottom of the sleeping bag, and one for my body. It kept the inside of my sleeping bag warm enough to be comfortable.

there are battery powered foot warmers, and gloves too, but never tried those. also lined my walmart sleeping bags,3pound on the bottom and four pound on top) lined with fleece blanket, and on a sleeping pad, I managed to do pretty well. Getting for the morning cath was sometimes hateful, but keeping warm enough was doable.

beth Im going to try a cooling vest, and see if it helps me get through fest, which is brutal during the day and cold at nite. I cant spend more than a few minutes outside before 5 pm lately. howmy sposed to tiedye my last batch before fest? =S

Quote Originally Posted by betheny View Post
    Linda T-When did you get married? It WAS hot in August 2000. That's why I got in a fountain and broke my neck on the 5th!
    We got married on the 4th. What a weird coincidence Bethany.
    We had a tiny wedding with some family and a few friends in the side chapel of a Lutheran church (made the folks happy) and then all piled off to the lake place. My sisters and Mom made a potato salad and sloppy joe feast and my friend the cake that melted.
    We still talk about how hot it was that day-the heat index.
    The next summer we put in A/C.

Quote Originally Posted by betheny View Post
    wow betheny, way to ruin a day out. I used to do that all the time, since I was really small at the zoo and balboa park. loved the balboa park fountain.

water looks dirty here, but the fountain is one of my favorite places to be. Miss doing watercolor or playing my guitar in balboa park.

That is way too hot for me Betheny ..... us New Englanders can't take much over 100.

It hit 104 here a couple of weeks ago, and that set a record.

It has been hot since then, but only in the 90s. Yesterday we had some bad thunderstorms blow through and got the temp swings that bother zilla ..... mid 90s to 69 in a short time. And 2 inches of rain. The hail missed us tho.

But it is only in the high 80s right now. DOn't know why I am wasting it here, lol.

It get really humid hear when it is hot, that is the worst part of it sometimes. Do you get the humidity too? Or the "But it's a dry heat" like in Arizona?
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

its a wimpy gush in this picture, but in the evenings, the lights are colored. I went when ever dark side of the moon played at the areo space museum. their theater is like being inside a golph ball. On hot days the fountain would be full of people. last time I went on a hot day, I only put my feet in because I was prego.