Thread: All 50 States See Record Highs in July

All 50 States See Record Highs in July

No state in the union was safe from July's blistering heat wave, according to data from the U.S. National Climatic Data Center.

The horrible July heat wave, lasting weeks in some cities, the entire month in others, affected nearly 200 million people in the United States at some point. Preliminary data show that 2,712 high-temperature records were either tied or broken in July, compared with 1,444 last year, according to the NCDC. At least one weather station in all 50 states set or tied a daily high temperature record at some point during July.

Two weather stations tied for the hottest temperature recorded during July. The Blythe station in Riverside County, Calif., and the Gila Bend station in Maricopa County, Ariz., both hit 120 degrees Fahrenheit (48.9 degrees Celsius) in July.

Even Alaska recorded unusually sweaty temperatures. The temperature at the Northway weather station in Southeast Fairbanks County hit a record 97 F (36.1 C) on July 11.

Newark, N.J., set an all-time high at 108 F (42.2 C) on July 22, breaking the record of 105 F (40.6 C), set in 2001.

In Washington, D.C., Dulles International Airport saw its hottest July on record this year and recorded its highest July temperature of all time at 105 F (40.6 C), on July 22.
    SOURCE

Weren't these the same cities digging themselves out of
    record snowfall this past winter? Extremes - what the
    scientists have said all along.

Human-induced climate change has the potential to alter the prevalence and severity of extremes such as heat waves, cold waves, storms, floods and droughts.
    SOURCE

I didn't post this article in General News. One of the
    mods must've put it here, too. LiveScience published
    the article; it was in its appropriate forum to start with.

Question

I don't know if the Data Center included Oregon in it's study, but we just went through one of the coolest Julys on record.
    4xquad

Hi Buck_Nastier I copied it over here as I live in Tx and we are in the dead middle of this Horrible Heat wave .
    I really thought it was great like you were reading my mind
    Your Real orig article is Still in the other forum
    I just copied it over to here as It is great news

GL

Quote Originally Posted by GL View Post
    Hi Buck_Nastier I copied it over here as I live in Tx and we are in the dead middle of this Horrible Heat wave .
    I really thought it was great like you were reading my mind
    Your Real orig article is Still in the other forum
    I just copied it over to here as It is great news

GL
    Ah. No problemo. Hope the heatwave subsides soon.

Thumbs up

Ty it is terrible outside , sadly imop it shouldnt be this crazy hot huh ?
    How are you doing ? It's good hearing from you

Sincerely ;
    GL

Have to agree with Phil that we (in the east bay area of San Francisco) had a fairly mild July as did Oregon Yes, we had a few days in the mid 90s, but not unusual for us and we did get the regular cool down that we get after a couple of those hot days. We never look forward to late August and September here, because those weeks can be the hottest that we and San Francisco experience all year.

All the best,
    GJ

Quote Originally Posted by GL View Post
    Ty it is terrible outside , sadly imop it shouldnt be this crazy hot huh ?
    How are you doing ? It's good hearing from you

Sincerely ;
    GL
    Doing well, thanks. We're melting out here in Havasu, too. It's been
    between 113-116 for a couple weeks. Nasty hot.

Too hot on the porch outside my office my old thermometer was reading over 110

Didnt believe it so I checked another outside thermometer and it was over 110 so I know what you mean it is not healthy imop .
    Went inside office and was all clammy like sick feeling the AC was on full cold and on the couch near my desk it was warm the walls were warmer ... Oooh my gosh

You please be safe take it easy
    Alway's
    GL