Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: got 10k worth of a new chair today, kinda not happy.

got 10k worth of a new chair today, kinda not happy.

I feel like I need to be talked off of a preverbial ledge. I just got home from picking up a new manual + assist wheels chair with all the bells and whistles, and I don't really like it. Well, I shouldn't say I don't like it. It's just not what I imagined, is that common?
    An administrator made me remove my signature.

Vancouver WA USA - - Male T4 ASIA B incomplete
    Quote Originally Posted by feisty View Post
    I feel like I need to be talked off of a preverbial ledge. I just got home from picking up a new manual + assist wheels chair with all the bells and whistles, and I don't really like it. Well, I shouldn't say I don't like it. It's just not what I imagined, is that common?
    intrigued.... what don't you like about it? and what did you roll away with?

What did you imagine and how does it fall short?
    C5-6 Complete - 8/13/1982

Blog Entries
    I think most of us have something don't like about our chairs. If it's an improvement over your old one, that's worth something. If there's something specific that doesn't work for you maybe your supplier can work with you. You could also be frustrated by the learning curve that comes with a new chair. Hope it works out for you after you've gotten used to it.
    Tom

"Blessed are the pessimists, for they hath made backups." Exasperated 20:12

It sounds like you did not see or try out at least a similar model and accessories. For a 10k chair, imo that is a must. On the other hand, if it just does not feel like you expected, give it a chance. I think breaking in a new chair is like getting used to a new pair of shoes when AB. It takes a while before it feels comfortable.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

You'll get used to it. I felt the same way at first, when they switched
    moms on Fresh Prince.

make that 18 k! ugh!

Well, I got the quickie extender wheels for campus, and they stand REALLY far off the chair, a solid 2 inches between the seat and the wheel, which pushes the wheels out pretty awkwardly. also, the wheels are pretty awkward themselves, and I'm glad I got the regular wheels with them because it seems like ALOT of technology. I don't see a feasible way that you could pop these wheels on and off by yourself. And, if you could manage it, it would take eons. definitely not a smooth process. Also, due to the space in between the chair and the wheels, it adds on to the overall width of the chair, so yes. Your ass looks fat in those pants.

Also, Scissor locks are ridiculous for people with long legs. I had them taken off on the spot, lest my top heavy self topple over trying to reach under halfway down my cushion. I am 5'11, i don't know how you do it if you have long stems, which sucks, because I really wanted them out of the way.

Is there no such thing as a non-c shaped backrest? the Jay backrest is scooped in and how are you supposed to get any postural support if the backrest only contributes to curving you around like that? Also, the mounting brackets look fitting for my next spelunking adventure.

I also had the arm rest hardware/mounting brackets taken off right then too. what's the deal with the antiquated arm rests that come with any chair dit for those wheels? They're a nightmare. Just on vanity alone, I guess I won't be using arm rests anymore.
    meh

I just took shit off it everywhere, and it still looks 3 inches wider than my existing chair, and like there's a bunch of shit on it still. Is it common for newer designs to just keep piling on more crap?

My experience is that it is common for the DME to add on so they can
    turn a larger profit
    Every day I wake up is a good one

Quote Originally Posted by SCIfor55yrs. View Post
    It sounds like you did not see or try out at least a similar model and accessories. For a 10k chair, imo that is a must. On the other hand, if it just does not feel like you expected, give it a chance. I think breaking in a new chair is like getting used to a new pair of shoes when AB. It takes a while before it feels comfortable.
    I don't think testing out chairs and equipment is as common as everyone says it is around here. I did do alot of reading in advance and research, but there's never been a way to demo a chair I've purchased that I remember.

Quote Originally Posted by Buck_Nastier View Post
    You'll get used to it. I felt the same way at first, when they switched
    moms on Fresh Prince.
    or Darrens?