Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: Second question to Rick Hansen Foundation

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Madsen View Post
    Could be why no "Cures" happen with any disease G. It would put the high paying execs. out of a job. This is why I don't donate to any foundation. I give locally or to individuals themselves.
    Thank you Pat. I fully understand why you've made that decision. When friends and family contact me to see what they can do to make a difference, I NEVER suggest donating to something like this. It breaks my heart to know others have donated hard earned money and then find out their donation to a charity went sour or wasn't used how they actually intended it to be....no matter what the disease or diagnosis.

My donations are very focused also and only go into specific items that cannot be touched by extravagant boards and career salaries. I donate to organizations that are sole volunteers with no salaries or hands in the till and where every single penny can be disclosed and on record. There's NO funny business with my money when I'm working on a cure for paralysis! I'll donate as long as I know the money is being allocated correctly.
    Last edited by GRAMMY; 08-11-2011 at 02:07 AM.

This thread made me sad
    If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.

Sometimes it is easier to widen doors than it is to open minds.

It gets worse, folks.

Here's the response they posted on their Facebook page. The answer to our question is indeed 0%.

We understand CNS regeneration is your priority, and we share your optimism for the future of this promising form of research. Again, please remember that RHI is funded by Health Canada and several provincial government partners to carry ou...t translational research. Translational research refers to the development and application of new technologies and treatments into clinical practices that promise to lead to improvements in patient care. As such, the Rick Hansen Institute does not at the moment fund any early stage pre-clinical stem cell therapy research. This does not preclude future funding for late stage pre-clinical studies imminently ready for translation to human clinical trials. Our next funding cycle begins in 2012, at which time all our projects -- in stream and new -- will come under review.

We trust this information clarifies your questions and helps you understand the nature of our work.

Quote Originally Posted by Scaper1 View Post
    It gets worse, folks.

Here's the response they posted on their Facebook page. The answer to our question is indeed 0%.
    I don't have facebook, so thanks for posting their response from there. At least there is finally admission that they fund NOTHING but patient care. $0. for cure research.

And we wait for the 2012 cycle to see if they might fund a couple bucks towards a cure? Seriously????????

So, after all these years, maybe they could throw a couple scraps towards that goal of ridding society of paralysis? What's all that phoney baloney about in their publicity campaign to draw in donations?

Out of the $245,000,000.00, do you suppose a few scraps for researching a cure would be too much to ask for?

(Afterall, that IS what they have lead folks to believe they are doing with all the slick Willy websites and responses !!!)
    Why are they waiting for all the other countries to do the heavy lifting while they rake in all the proceeds?
    Ricks travel expenses exceed $300,000.00 per year for globetrotting internationally.

What other countries will follow his lead and example if they knew the truth? We need to make some changes!
    Last edited by GRAMMY; 08-11-2011 at 02:09 AM.

I think they owe to as all the funding of a good clinical trial or... something like that
    Don't ask what clinical trials can do for you, ask what you can do for clinical trials.

Fenexy: Proyecto Volver a Caminar

http://www.fenexy.org (soon in english too)

Quote Originally Posted by 0xSquidy View Post
    I think they owe to as all the funding of a good clinical trial or... something like that
    I don't think there's a ghost chance of that!!!!!!!!!!

1. The latest chronic SCI clinical trial posted at Montreal General Hospital is going to be run in Canada with ALL of the funding coming from the US Department of Defense and US ARMY... I've had several people ask me why this clinical trial is being funded by USA taxpayers instead of the Canadian government and RHF/RHI or even ICORD ?????????? Good question.

2. The Bioaxone (currently Canada) is trying to relocate into the USA right now for their Cethrin Phase 2b clinical trial. They've been offered an incentive to work in Miami...Why is the Canadian government and the RHF/RHI or ICORD not funding that trial either??? It's a very promising part of a combination therapy that has shown remarkable recovery!

(Hopefully this isn't what the 70 global sci clinical trial centers he's initiating next year is going to look like with another $300,000.00 in travel expenses). Why go global for the clinical trials site when he won't fund his own backyard? I have to question the RHF and RHI when my US tax dollars are being spent on clinical trials and initiatives in Canada. I'm all for international collaboration!!! However, why am I helping pay the tab as a USA taxpayer and yet the largest SCI foundation in Canada won't contribute a single penny??? (They lead everyone to believe they're working on the cure with research money and gathering up international collaboration...) WHAT'S WRONG WITH THIS PICTURE?
    Last edited by GRAMMY; 08-11-2011 at 01:32 AM.

As an aside, I accidentally ended up at ICORD today, a receptionist mistakenly sent me there for routine urological stuff. The building and parking lot were virtually empty. I didn't get a chance to look around properly as I had to get to the place I was actually supposed to be, but my first impression was that not much of anything was happening there beyond the floor where sci long-timers go for cystoscopies, etc.

Ya, I wouldn't expect much going on there...nothing is being funded to happen right now . Another ghost chance...
    Last edited by GRAMMY; 08-10-2011 at 09:49 PM.

The MS Society put pressure on the Canadian government until they allowed the liberation treatment here and forced it into trials - not kidding!

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...rticle1714077/

Why couldn't the same be accomplished here?

BUT, I have to agree with the Foundation that you get very few chances at this ... I would want that money to go to the most promising trial because as my doc in Toronto said, $30,000,000 is barely a drop in the bucket when you're talking research (we were speaking of the federal government's donation five years ago). I see nothing else but nerve grafting as plausible at this time and I'm saying that as a taxpayer and as someone who has been paralyzed for 26yrs.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Quote Originally Posted by lynnifer View Post
    The MS Society put pressure on the Canadian government until they allowed the liberation treatment here and forced it into trials - not kidding!

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...rticle1714077/

Why couldn't the same be accomplished here?

BUT, I have to agree with the Foundation that you get very few chances at this ... I would want that money to go to the most promising trial because as my doc in Toronto said, $30,000,000 is barely a drop in the bucket when you're talking research (we were speaking of the federal government's donation five years ago). I see nothing else but nerve grafting as plausible at this time and I'm saying that as a taxpayer and as someone who has been paralyzed for 26yrs.
    In fact, the MS Society recently set aside $1-million to fund the clinical trials. So with the 245 million at RHF, couldn't they chip in for a clinical trial also or help fund some of the most promising research internationally? With being the highest paid charity executives in Canada, I'd think that something could surely be accomplished by them. Why do they even talk about a cure and a world without paralysis if they don't bother to give a single penny to cure it? Isn't that motto deceitful to their donors? I think it's time for the community to speak up and ask for serious changes.
    Last edited by GRAMMY; 08-11-2011 at 02:12 AM.