Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Second question to Rick Hansen Foundation

Quote Originally Posted by rjames View Post
    Isn't most of this information public record if they are a 501c3 non profit? you can see the financials for CDRF on their site.
    The finacial report they make available is actually very foggy.
    Then also a common person is not familiar with a ballance sheet usually, so I think they should just answer the question.

The problem is that by honestly answering the question many people with SCI will realize they have been screwed by RHF so they try not to answer.
    How miserable is that?

Paolo
    In God we trust; all others bring data. - Edwards Deming

Quote Originally Posted by StemCells&AtomBombs View Post
    I know that many of you have already sent off another question to the Rick Hansen Foundation after the response you got, but I think it's better that we keep things as a group.

Therefore I have prepared another question just like before and you can send it off in a minute. Please pass this along to your friends and colleagues.

We shouldn't just ignore the response, we should ask again as a group.

http://stemcellsandatombombs.blogspo...ck-hansen.html

Italian: http://cellulestaminaliebombeatomich...ione-rick.html

Spanish: http://celulasmadreybombasatomicas.b...ck-hansen.html

Let's work together because we'll get the most progress.
    Keep in mind that it's a long weekend in Vancouver, August 1st is a stat holiday. I doubt their pr team works on weekends or stats.

Quote Originally Posted by paolocipolla View Post
    I intend to donate if they give me an answer that I agree with.
    Do you think I do that just for fan?????????????? I have much better things to do for fun FYI
    I just want see people to get out of w/c ASAP! That is what propers me.
    Do you think that makes sense??? Or is too much for you?

Paolo
    WTF! Why the condescending attitude?

So you think a bad attitude from Spain is going to influence how any foundation is spending their money or influence them to answer any of your funding questions. As an earlier post say, Look it up, it's there with their 501.c exempt status. If you have questions they might be more apt to write a personal response knowing you are at least enlightened a little from reading it. Of course you get a form letter with all the inquiries they get a day.

I think you are pissed off because you got injured and can't get fixed, not because you want to see others out of their w/c's. You need someone to blame, so you blame the foundations because they aren't going fast enough for you. Spend a few years in the chair, then you can get altruistic.

You asked what I thought, that's what I think or is that too much for you.

501 exempt is an American thing from your Internal Revenue Service laws so I don't understand it here in Canada.

If I donate to Canadian OR American organizations, I may take a minute percentage from my income taxes ... but it's hardly worth it. Or you have the option to carry them over year by year until you have a substantial amount.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

The 501.c exemption status is USA tax code. Canada doesn't have a 501.c

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Madsen View Post
    WTF! Why the condescending attitude?

So you think a bad attitude from Spain is going to influence how any foundation is spending their money or influence them to answer any of your funding questions. As an earlier post say, Look it up, it's there with their 501.c exempt status. If you have questions they might be more apt to write a personal response knowing you are at least enlightened a little from reading it. Of course you get a form letter with all the inquiries they get a day.

I think you are pissed off because you got injured and can't get fixed, not because you want to see others out of their w/c's. You need someone to blame, so you blame the foundations because they aren't going fast enough for you. Spend a few years in the chair, then you can get altruistic.

You asked what I thought, that's what I think or is that too much for you.
    Why do you push your head deeper into the send instead of finding the courage to look at the reality?
    In God we trust; all others bring data. - Edwards Deming

Paolo, did you move to Spain without telling me? I thought we were friends

Im not sure how some people have taken this as an attack. A very polite but honest question was asked of the new CEO of RHF. A bog-standard reply was sent to all failing to answer the question. A second attempt has been sent to simplify the question further. I expect RHF to answer at some point within the next week. I look forward to it. But by no way is it an attack. Maybe there is something in the water.

People are merely asking legitimate questions knowing that some board members of these organisations are equally disillusioned of the focus of curing spinal cord injury. If these questions help the organisations refocus then this is a very good exercise. If the organisation comes out and demonstrates that they are focused on curing spinal cord injury (which by the way is in their mission) then Im sure everyone will be happy. If not, well then everyone knows the truth. Simple.

Dont forget, the SCI community is the consumer! And the consumer is always right!

A polite honest question hopefully isn't viewed as an attack. I try to look up the funding on all orgs that I donate to. If 90% of their money is poured into fundraising or staff salaries etc...I like to know before I send them my money. I can look that up on a public site and get 501 c information. However, in other countries, it's not so readily available. In light of what happened with cancer donations in Canada...it's worth asking a question and trying to get an answer. Rick Hansen has done fine work over the years for SCI, but it's important to know where funding dollars go also for spinal cord injury in Canada.

Cancer Society spends more on fundraising than research

By Erica Johnson, CBC News

Posted: Jul 6, 2011 5:00 AM ET

Last Updated: Jul 6, 2011 8:28 AM ET

Read 1070 comments1070 Back to accessibility links
    CBC's Marketplace discovered that each year, as the Cancer Society raised more dollars, the proportion of money it spent on research dropped dramatically. (Canadian Cancer Society/Canadian Press)

P.O.V.: Will Canadian Cancer Society spending make you stop donating?IN DEPTH: What to look for when picking a charityDATABASE: Charities that pay external fundraisersIN DEPTH: Cancer, a disease without boundaries

More fundraising than research3:37
    More fundraising than research3:37

Beginning of Story Content

An Ontario cancer researcher is concerned that the Canadian Cancer Society has proportionally shifted funding away from research and is spending more of its dollars on fundraising and administration costs.
    "Most scientists don’t realize that the budget has been going up and up, and donations have been growing, but the budget for research has been shrinking," said Brian Lichty, a researcher at McMaster University who is looking into treating cancer with viruses that kill tumours. "So they are surprised and disappointed when they find out that this is the case, and the trend."
    CBC's Marketplace analyzed the Canadian Cancer Society’s financial reports dating back a dozen years. It discovered that each year, as the society raised more dollars, the proportion of money it spent on research dropped dramatically — from 40.3 per cent in 2000 to under 22 per cent in 2011.
    The amount of money spent on research has increased slightly over the years, but as a portion of the Cancer Society’s growing budget, it's almost been cut in half.
    Lichty and some of his colleagues set up an information booth at this year's annual Relay for Life fundraiser in Ancaster, Ont., to raise awareness about the drop in funding for research at the Canadian Cancer Society. Over the years, his research team has received hundreds of thousands of dollars from the society, but he’s not afraid to criticize it now.
    "Cancer researchers are spending a lot of their time, or most of their time, trying to figure out how to get the money to fund their research, rather than actually doing research," Lichty said.
    "And it has become a much bigger portion of what our day-to-day activities amount to."
    Marketplace asked the Canadian Cancer Society for an on-camera interview, but it declined, instead responding by email:
    "While funding cancer research is a crucial part of the society’s work, we also have profound responsibilities to do everything we can to reduce the risk of Canadians ever developing cancer and to provide meaningful support to people living with cancer."
    But when Marketplace scrutinized the financial reports, it found that a greater percentage of funds was not being directed toward support, information and advocacy.
    Instead, the reports reveal that the area that’s getting the greatest portion of donor dollars is fundraising, up from 26 per cent of all monies raised in 2000, to 42.7 per cent in 2011.

Will Canadian Cancer Society spending make you stop donating?
    Greg Thomson, a spokesman for the charity watchdog Charity Intelligence, said the Canadian Cancer Society appears to spend more on fundraising than a number of other charities.
    "I would want to understand better what they’re spending their money on, why they’re spending that much," Thomson said. "Because we found a number of very effective organizations that don’t need to spend nearly the percentages on fundraising and admin that we’ve seen."
    Competing interests

Mark Blumberg, a lawyer who advises non-profits and charities but doesn’t represent the Canadian Cancer Society, said the society may be spending less on research because that money may have more impact elsewhere.
    "In the end, they need to listen to all the different interest groups and stakeholders that have an interest in the area, and not just prefer one and ignore others," Blumberg said. "I think what they are trying to do is spend money on different areas and balance stakeholders’ interests."
    Lichty said he’s hoping his criticism of the society will encourage the largest funder of cancer research in Canada to shift its priorities back to finding new treatments and a cure.
    "I suspect, if donors are not happy with the situation, if they want a greater proportion of their money to go to research — because that is why they donated their money — then maybe there will be a grassroots movement," Lichty said. "Some pressure from the donors and the volunteers to try and find a way to put more of the money they raise into research."
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/health/story/...y-funding.html
    Last edited by GRAMMY; 07-31-2011 at 08:33 PM.

Don't want to get into name slinging Pao. You do what you have to do.

I've known Rick for 38 years, went thru rehab with him, had the same mentors, had a career in W/C sports and sci education with him. I was his demo. team captain for the world tour and still converse with him from time to time. Your saying that he is not interested in SCI cure is completely wrong and uncalled for. He is as interested as the next guy, probably more so. He knows that it takes dedication, money and co-operation to get further. His latest country tours have been basically getting Countries onboard to join in the research. He has made inroads, China for One, that was unthinkable not that long ago; I'm not sure if Italy has signed up. He has brought attention to National leaders and researchers personally for the need of SCI research.

Rick also knows from experience and injuries he encountered, that care is dynamically important. He knows that the aging sci population must be in general good health to be able to withstand the rigors of rehabbing broken bodies whole again. What good is a cure, if everything else has worn out because of the stress it takes to live with an sci; so it's a double edged sword kind of.

Rick is no saint by anymeans, he's doing what he believes in and it's not Rick. I'm sure others on this forum can attest to his going out and personally encouraging a new sci to stay strong and positve.

I agree with you that research must be carried on. I do think I have my head in reality as knowing that Cure is still just a word. Reality is that we've been told a cure is just down the road, keep donating and it will come. We're closer to a cure. We have much better care and first aide responders to SCI incidents. Much better equipment and drugs to keep us going till it does come. So reality is, We've come a long, long way in a short time. Trustfully the cure will come soon enough to help you out. If not thank goodness for those who thought about the care part being important too cause we are all getting older.

To my Canadian neighbors, I apologize about thinking you guys used the 501c. I knew you didn't lol.

I am glad you are ethused about this; it's what keeps it going. But at the sametime, please don't belittle those who have done so much. The foundation just doesn't jump to Rick's will and whims. The Board of Directors probably have as great if not greater role in what goes on. I agre to go after the foundations for clarification, I objected to your portrayal of Rick as someone who didn't care about the cure reseach.

I got you mixed up with Oxy from Spain, my apologies.
    Last edited by Patrick Madsen; 07-31-2011 at 07:55 PM.

Bravo Patrick Madsen.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12