Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: Second question to Rick Hansen Foundation

Paolo and the others are doing individually what we should be doing as a community, because this is how things can be changed, or at least improved.
    -Ramps in buildings are necessary, but it would be usefull to have another ones for people (mind/heart).....

-Hoc non pereo habebo fortior me

Quote Originally Posted by GRAMMY View Post
    I don't think he's aware of the facts yet.
    When Brent, a Captain at CanJet Airlines, heard that his friend and co-worker, Nicolas Charette, had suffered a spinal cord injury in May, he wanted to do something to support and encourage Nicolas in his recovery.
    Being an avid runner, Brent decided to raise money by running as many kilometers as possible in a 24-hour period, with a goal of running 100-120 kilometers in total and seeking pledges on a per kilometer basis (meaning the farther he ran, the larger each donation would be). When he first approached Nicolas with this idea, Nicolas generously proposed that the funds raised be donated to the Rick Hansen Institute to support spinal cord research. To learn more, please visit http://run4nic.com/

I had commented below this post, meaning that this guy,Brent, thinks he is doing this great thing for research when he is not.
    If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.

Sometimes it is easier to widen doors than it is to open minds.

Quote Originally Posted by addiesue View Post

When Brent, a Captain at CanJet Airlines, heard that his friend and co-worker, Nicolas Charette, had suffered a spinal cord injury in May, he wanted to do something to support and encourage Nicolas in his recovery.
    Being an avid runner, Brent decided to raise money by running as many kilometers as possible in a 24-hour period, with a goal of running 100-120 kilometers in total and seeking pledges on a per kilometer basis (meaning the farther he ran, the larger each donation would be). When he first approached Nicolas with this idea, Nicolas generously proposed that the funds raised be donated to the Rick Hansen Institute to support spinal cord research. To learn more, please visit http://run4nic.com/

I had commented below this post, meaning that this guy,Brent, thinks he is doing this great thing for research when he is not.
    Yes, that's also what I meant. Brent is probably just going off the information posted on the RHF site like everyone else has done over the years...generally thinking they have been working at "cure" when they talk about spinal cord research. It's only been disclosed on their facebook page last week there is no money being funded on the "cure". RHF receives 37% of their funding through these public donations. That is why people have been asking for clarification of the funding and also wanting to discuss future funding proposals for regeneration of the spinal cord with the folks at RHF.

As such, the Rick Hansen Institute does not at the moment fund any early stage pre-clinical stem cell therapy research. This does not preclude future funding for late stage pre-clinical studies imminently ready for translation to human clinical trials. Our next funding cycle begins in 2012, at which time all our projects -- in stream and new -- will come under review.
    Last edited by GRAMMY; 08-15-2011 at 09:54 PM.

Just making sure i was on the right topic well, someone should tell him before he runs that far! They aren't going to if they deleted my comment within a few minutes or hours.
    If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.

They are doing translational research at the moment. http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/RickHansenInstitute

I still don't understand why people can't seem to grasp that lessening disability via better treatment is part of the road to the cure. Personally if I was rolled into a SCI unit today I would rather have something that make a difference now instead of "well stem cells look like they might work, we are just going to clinical trials" What happens if nothing comes of the stem cell trials?

As mentioned in the faceboook link a new funding cycle is coming up. At any rate, I'm done with the cure forum.

Both are important Canuck, I think dodging the question is what is making people feel bad.

I agree that they need to a better job on their public statements, and I think the answer today just shows the question probably had to go through some of the hiearchy before a "aproved" statement was made.

That sort of thing happens in any organization especially government type organisations, In British Columbia the bureau of public affairs has to approve everything a government spokesperson says.

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    As mentioned in the faceboook link a new funding cycle is coming up.
    I think this is what we need to focus on now. The decision not to fund stem cell research seems to have been a very deliberate one. Assumedly, they have decided on behalf of the sci community that it's not a priority. So the question is, what's the best way to convince them otherwise without the whole thing getting unnecessarily antagonistic?

I think lobbying the government maybe the way to go, "we as taxpayers want the money you grant for sci related issued spent this way" After all it's the governments that are holding the big purse strings.

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    make a difference now instead of "well stem cells look like they might work, we are just going to clinical trials" What happens if nothing comes of the stem cell trials?
    That's what they supposedly entered the game for. To change the "well stem cells look like they might work, we are just going to clinical trials" for a "back in the days we funded a lot of trials with different therapies and we discovered a cure that works pretty well".

That's why they exist in the first place (RHF, CDRF, WFL... so on). If they don't do it while pretending it in order to get funding, they are not part of the solution.

If your greatest worry is "What happens if nothing comes of the stem cell trials?"... You should research on how science works, how treatments appear (yep, they don't magically appear)... and think about your question again.

To me there's a more important question: "What happens if we don't try to find a cure?".

Exactly, nothing happens and we stay the same.
    Don't ask what clinical trials can do for you, ask what you can do for clinical trials.

Fenexy: Proyecto Volver a Caminar

http://www.fenexy.org (soon in english too)