Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Living Alone

@WFE: My mother has a similar basket to the one in Eileen's link. She bought it in a chain store for outdoor sports aficionados. I hadn't considered that it might come in handy for me, but I think it's about the same width as the space between my wheels.

Thanks, Eileen!

Also, I would never steal a store basket: if nothing else, it's forbidden in most stores here to take them outside after shopping (precisely because too many people have been tempted to steal them). When I was a student, we had a stolen shopping cart in our courtyard. I swore for a long time I'd bring it back some day, and never did. But between that and stealing a cart (or a basket) myself, there's a pretty wide gap, in my estimation.

If I can't find it. I know the people in the stores around here and if I ask to get or buy one, they will let me.

LOL, tomorrow Ramadan is starting, I am sure they are kind to me
    TH 12, 43 years post

You have to wheel the groceries out to the van, then back in to return the basket. You can't leave it in the parking lot, like you would a cart. It was cold and icy...and it never occurred to me they were available for purchase!

Forgive me, Father, for I have sinned-and stealing a basket from CVS is pretty low on my sin list. Sins 'R 'Us.

Oh, trust me, Betheny, this isn't me being 'holier than thou'. I'm pretty sure the worst sin I've committed is at least as bad as anyone's here, if not worse. I'm just too much of a coward to try and steal something so big and visible (because here, the staff will literally halt you when they see you try to walk out with a basket --you're supposed to bring your own container to carry things to your car in).
    Last edited by Saranoya; 08-01-2011 at 02:19 AM. Reason: Typo

Quote Originally Posted by betheny View Post
    You have to wheel the groceries out to the van, then back in to return the basket. You can't leave it in the parking lot, like you would a cart. It was cold and icy...and it never occurred to me they were available for purchase!

Forgive me, Father, for I have sinned-and stealing a basket from CVS is pretty low on my sin list. Sins 'R 'Us.
    I was in the wrong shop today, they had only baskets who were too big for the lap They have a new kind, people drag them and makes me crazy because they are always in front of me and I can't pass them.
    TH 12, 43 years post

Yeah, I wasn't implying that I was too holy either. Since I would never go to the trouble to bring the basket back into the store I would have to "steal" the same basket everytime I left the store. Not worth it, so that is why I bought my own.

Quote Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
    Since I would never go to the trouble to bring the basket back into the store .....
    I will sometimes return the basket by placing it in one of the carts parked outside. I figure when they collect the carts, they can collect the basket. And since my favorite spot is right next to the carriage corral (guaranteed not to have someone parked too close to me when I come out) it is no extra trouble.
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

I have all the things that have been mentioned, including a stolen store basket that I've had about four years (I think it may have been Betheny who suggested it back then).

A lap tray with a raised edge is a must, as are various pads so you can put hot stuff down.

I'm far more refined when I have visitors but when I'm on my own I've been known to carry hot pans around in my teeth by the handle (NOT RECOMMENDED) and I always eat from the pan, packet, box. Washing up is a pain.

If you're living in the city I find the best way to shop is to get deliveries of all the bigger things that fill up a bag too fast (tinned stuff, washing powder, paper towels, booze) and buy smaller stuff or meals when needed. I take a sturdy bag similar to this and trap it under the work/catheter kit satchel I carry round my shoulders. It's ok for a mile or so but not long distances.
    C5/6 incomplete

"I assume you all have guns and crack....."

Oh, I covet your grocery deliveries! And booze too? That sounds like heaven.

Oh, I covet your grocery deliveries! And booze too? That sounds like heaven.
    You're still welcome to visit. I'll let you watch the nice delivery people put everything away neatly and then politely enquire as to whether I'm having a party.
    C5/6 incomplete

"I assume you all have guns and crack....."