Hi everyone,

I may or may not have a job very soon: I made it through three rounds of in-person interviews, at the end of which I was told that they considered me a very strong candidate, and that they were supposed to see one more person, but he or she would have to do *extremely* well to get a leg up on me. I should know by this time tomorrow whether or not I got the job.

Since the job is about two hours away from here by public transport, though, I'll likely be looking to move if I get it. I have friends in the new city (which is why I would actually like to move), but none that I can move in with right now. I would probably be living alone.

In and of itself, living alone doesn't scare me. I basically lived alone for close to seven years when I was still in school. But that was before I became a full-time wheelchair user. For the past twelve-plus months, I've been living with my parents. My mother usually prepares the hot meals, and because she has rheumatic arthritis, we have hired help to do the cleaning once a week. If I had a job, I might be able to eat a hot meal at work once a day during the week, but were I to move out of my parents' house, that would still mean I'd have to cook for myself on the weekends.

Groceries are no problem: I can get them delivered on my doorstep by a supermarket close by. But cooking and then eating hot meals has proven to be somewhat logistically challenging for me, when I've tried to do it over the last year. Actually, when the supplies are all stowed in a place where I can get to them easily, the cooking itself isn't even the problem. It's that I can't seem to figure out a safe way to transport the cooked meal from the counter to the dining table. If I try to bring pots and pans to the table, I burn my thighs, and if I try to bring a full plate to the table, nine times out of ten, it drops to the floor before I get there.

Also challenging: using a vacuum cleaner, taking out the trash, and transporting heavy loads of laundry while outdoors (I need to be able to do this, because I don't drive, and I won't have the money to buy my own washing machine right away).

If anyone has any pointers on how to accomplish any of these things independently, I'd be delighted to hear about them. Keep in mind that I will be renting, so remodeling options are limited to moving some of the furniture around.

Thanks in advance!

- Sara