Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Let's Talk About TM

Welcome to the forum, Kari. I think it's safe to say that everyone here will understand your confusion and wish for solid guidance about what is wrong and possible treatment options. Diagnosis is typically not clear-cut (at least initially) with neurological conditions. Excellent doctors can disagree about seemingly basic issues, and it's scary and frustrating for patients and their families - you are not alone. I don't really have any advice, other than to urge you to keep researching and asking questions - and don't hesitate for a moment to get second and third opinions if you doubt your diagnosis or what you've been told.

I still want a diagnosis and know what happened and what is happening now after 41 years so I understand you are confused.
    TH 12, 43 years post

Just thought I'd chime in. TM in 1994 at C3-4, incomplete. Not flacid, much tone especially on my more affected left side. Spent years in an electric chair because I was very prematurely told I would not walk again by my doc - I didn't know any better and neither the doc, I guess. Came across this website and learned about walking quads. Started rehabbing again. Now I'm part-time walking, part-time chairing(?). Still working towards walking more.

Woodland, CA, USA Old male, T12 incomplete TM 2004
    Since we're talking TM, I am wondering how many of you, with any autoimmune diseases are gluten sensitive?

The summer 2010 issue of "Journal of Gluten Sensitivity by Celiac.com" suggested a link between celiac disease (negative reaction to the protein gluten primarily found in wheat) and autoimmune diseases. They are saying that you incur damage to your intestinal track which results in your gut not being able to contain the protein gluten which gets out into parts of your body it shouldn't be and that causes the autoimmune disease.

In my own example, in 1999 I got diverticulitis (and infection of the intestines). I got over the diverticulitis ok. If the article above is right, I might have damaged my intestine at that time and began "leaking" gluten into by body. I got TM in 2004. I didn't find out I was gluten sensitive until 2010 BUT maybe I was gluten sensitive from 1999? Perhaps if I had been tested earlier and gone on a gluten-free diet then, I wouldn't have gotten TM? Who knows? Anyone else with ciliac disease that might be linked to your TM?
    TM 2004 T12 incomplete

Not here.

I'd had a vaccination about a year before my onset. Also was on prednisone orally at the time for a bad allergic reaction to corn detassling which lowers your immune system and I was fighting asthma pretty bad. I was into my second week of treatment when TM struck quick.

I'd also been punched in the back square where its onset is a month prior at school. Also fell off a horse with enough force to make a 12yr old normal girl pee her pants!

Who knows what causes it.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Quote Originally Posted by lynnifer View Post
    Who knows what causes it.
    That's pretty much my take on it, too. I'm sure there are individual variables involved, so that gluten sensitivity might bring about autoimmune disease in some people, and not others; and the same with trauma, vaccination, viral exposure, and other factors. I doubt there is a universal relationship between celiac disease and neurological conditions like TM, MS and several others - though it wouldn't hurt to do a gluten-free trial to see if it helps the symptoms, once they've appeared.

Don't forget the viking gene. You can't get MS without it. Do you think it is the same with TM?
    TH 12, 43 years post

Quote Originally Posted by woman from Europe View Post
    Don't forget the viking gene. You can't get MS without it.
    I've never heard that one before? Where did you learn that?
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

All people with MS have the viking gene. I have read it and I even googled it for safety before I wrote it today. And I can't find it back of course

It is strange because only people with scandinavian achestors get it, not even the Finnish people have so much MS than the Scandinavians and the laps don't get it so often either. One of the first persons they know was from Iceland around year 1000, the time of the vikings.
    And then the Scandinaviens are mixed with the English, Irish aso and of course a lot went to USA and Canada last century so it has spread.
    TH 12, 43 years post

Here is a brief article about the theory. It might help to explain the link between MS and Vitamin D deficiency in some northern regions where hours of sunlight are fewer than in other parts of the world. In Scotland and the Orkney Isles, for example, the incidence of MS is high, as is Vitamin D deficiency - along with a gene pool richly associated with Scandinavian peoples. Since many researchers believe that MS is likely to result from a combination of genetic and environmental factors, a so-called "Viking Gene" might bridge some gaps; it is just a theory at this point, as there is no way of knowing that all people with MS carry the particular group of genes included in the Viking Gene category. But it's certainly an interesting hypothesis.