Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Let's Talk About TM

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Let's Talk About TM

Hi everyone! My name is Jen, and I was diagnosed with Transverse Myelitis in March of 2008. I have met a lot of people in chairs, but most are traumatic SCIs, and I am interested in talking to people who have TM. Anyways...say hello or whatever else...

Welcome to the forum, Jen. We have several members with TM and other non-traumatic SCIs - you'll find lots of information here. Best wishes to you!

T11 para since July 29 1985 @ age 12 - released from hospital on my 13th birthday, so 26yrs ago. It left me flaccidly paralyzed from the waist down.

ETA: Mine took 30 seconds. Had been having back pains for a month or so prior and a wicked allergic reaction to corn detassling .. was on Prednisone at the time. Huge back pain - went to stand up and fell like a raggedy-ann doll. When I hit the ground, a line of numbness started at my feet and crept up my body and stopped at my waist.
    Last edited by lynnifer; 07-31-2011 at 01:44 PM.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Quote Originally Posted by Bonnette View Post
    Welcome to the forum, Jen. We have several members with TM and other non-traumatic SCIs - you'll find lots of information here. Best wishes to you!
    I'm another non-traumatic sci. I didn't have TM, but a spinal bleed.

Welcome, Jen!

Quote Originally Posted by keps View Post
    I'm another non-traumatic sci. I didn't have TM, but a spinal bleed.

Welcome, Jen!
    Reminds me, I forgot to say what my own issue is - MS primarily, with cervical stenosis and sacral nerve root cysts. And I'm old, too!

And I am a non traumatic SCI, no diagnosis but I bet I had a TM, but we don't use that diagnosis here. T11-12 and spastic.
    TH 12, 43 years post

Hi Jen, I was diagnosed in May 2007 and am T7 complete and also flaccid. Mine came on slowly over a few months which I gather is a bit unusual. It took until November of that year before I was in the chair.
    I get a lot of neuropathic pain and seem to be ruled by that and all the drugs for various bits of my body, but on the plus side I still have a good brain!
    Hope you are doing OK, this site is a great source of info, support and comfort, it's the only place where I feel 'normal'
    Good luck

Woodland, CA, USA Old male, T12 incomplete TM 2004
    Hi
    Welcome to the site. TM at 58. Walking 12/6/04. Paralyzed from knees down 12/7/04. Paralyzed from waist down 12/9/04. Some recovery over the next 10 months.

Life moves on.
    TM 2004 T12 incomplete

I had TM at age 11, 1973. Initial complete paralysis, T10... ish. Recovered to walk with cane for many years. Now use a chair for the majority of my mobility.
    Adaptive Sports Forums.com
    http://adaptivesportsforums.com
    Non-commercial adaptive sports user community

Newly diagnosed with TM

I was just diagnosed with TM on Thursday Aug. 11, 2011. I started 5 days of IV steriods and just finished that yesterday. Today I go back in and see my neurologist. I get the feeling that he really doesn't know what to do. I have millions of questions and not a lot of answers yet. I just feel so frustrated and want my life back to "normal". I don't know what to expect or what other things are going to happen. I seem to be getting worse and not better even after the round of steriods. It is like waking up a new world everyday, that is when I can sleep. I just feel a little lost and confused and not sure where to turn at this point. My family is supportive but equally unsure of what to do at this point. I wish I had a crystal ball and could see the future, as I am sure everyone does. I just don't know what to expect at this point. Thanks everyone, just need some advice from others who can really understand what is happening to me when no one else seems to get it. Kari