Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Information Technology skills

I've been working in IT for 28 years: business app development, analysis, project management. You may get a larger response placing your notice in the Computer forum.

Quote Originally Posted by t8burst View Post
    As far as I know there are only 3 or 4 of us that make our living writing software. Mr. Coffee, Resonant Echo and myself are the only ones I can think of.
    Not so much.

Software engineer, aerospace. The OP doesn't seem to be looking for codemonkeys, though - IT is a different skill set.

Quote Originally Posted by crypticgimp View Post
    i am writing software for biological programs as part of my research
    Sounds interesting! Would you classify your work, more as computational biology, biostatistics, or some other interdisciplinary specialty (medical informatics, bioengineering,...)?

Quote Originally Posted by Katja View Post
    Not so much.

Software engineer, aerospace. The OP doesn't seem to be looking for codemonkeys, though - IT is a different skill set.
    I did areo stuff out of college, worked at NASA for 7 years. I have since sold my soul and gone to the dark side, it pays better.

t8burst,

Regarding "... worked at NASA for 7 years. I have since ... gone to the dark side ..." - what is the dark side?

Quote Originally Posted by WC_Sage View Post
    t8burst,

Regarding "... worked at NASA for 7 years. I have since ... gone to the dark side ..." - what is the dark side?
    I run development at a quant hedge fund doing high frequency trading.

Quote Originally Posted by t8burst View Post
    I run development at a quant hedge fund doing high frequency trading.
    EVIL!!! EVIL!!! EVIL!!!

....Got any hot stock tips?
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.

There is a lot to be said for working in IT... When I first got out of college back in 1985, I was a licensed Recreational Therapist at a local Rehab Hospital. Wages were low, my work hours were all over the place...Early morning chart conferences, late evening outings... Being in "recreation" you would think it would be fun but...... I went back to college in the mid 90's in IT, now make 4 times the amount of money I made before and my "fun" factor has increased tremendously!!! I know this may sound a little selfish but now have enough money to buy the toys I want.... There is something to be said for having a job devoted to helping others but my new Polaris RZR goes 65mph and I have the weekends and evenings off to ride it .