Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Britain's 50 most hated Americanisms, from A to Zee...

i <3 george carlin. he was a voice of reason and i often watch you tube videos of him when i think the world is going more crazy around me
    "Smells like death in a bucket of chicken!"
    http://www.elportavoz.com/

Too funny, that you're "annoyed" at American lingo. Your own username means all-buttfu**ed-up in American slang

And bastard, depending on who's saying it, how, and why, has been used as a term of endearment for centuries in America, long before the country of Australia as we now know it existed.
    I hate the false sense Americans trying to speak aussie use mate, they picked it up from crocadile dundee a movie made for america.

peace
    Quote Originally Posted by all-buggered-up View Post
    I find a few annoying Americanisms creaping into the aussie lingo especially babe and bro, and bathroom, ass instead of arse is a particular annoyane to me, an ass is a small member of the horse family an arse is what you shit out of, howdy folks is very annoying and yall, is especially annoying and of course 'god bless' which aren't acceptable and Americans should stay clear of using the terms mate, bastard, buggered and bitch in reference to any Australian especially bastard as there are good bastards and bad bastards connotation and circumstance play a big part in when a word is acceptable, for example "you old bastard" is a term of affection while 'that bastard' is a bad bastard though there are at least 12 different meanings to bastard, bugger and buggered is similar to bastard in the connotations that aussies have developed. I hate the false sense Americans trying to speak aussie use mate, they picked it up from crocadile dundee a movie made for america.
    Last edited by rdf; 07-31-2011 at 03:54 PM.
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by SCIfor55yrs. View Post
    If those little things bug the Brits, text messaging must drive them up the wall. lol Just sayin. Understand?
    Yup, or txt as we saytype out West!

And I imagine our food must really upset them.

Quote Originally Posted by betheny View Post
    Everybody needs to listen to that 2nd utube video Obie posted. It's amazing. George Carlin was the SHIT.

He just made me realize I've been shell-shocked. I was crippled, and now I'm shell-shocked, because my husband unexpectedly died.

Listen to George, you'll hear what I'm talking about...Calling it what it is.

I wheeled past an abandoned house this a.m., and thought "Uh-oh, another one that got over-leveraged." Had to laugh at that, b/c what I meant was "Somebody spent some money they didn't have." Or maybe they got fired.
    Made redundant. Victim of reduction of expenditure in the Human Resources Department...

"True that" came from the Cajuns. Which I believe, Obie, makes us equally responsible.

How about some great Americanisms? We have them, word up.

Heathen is another. It doesn't have religious connotations, in KS we said "heatherns" LOL. Hard to define to a Norwegian, let me try. A heathern is not behaving as society considers appropriate. It might be like the Aussie bastard, there are many forms of heatherns. It comes from Christians trying to convert others to Christianity, but it evolved. Kids out of control? Little heatherns. In Jody's case, she meant mongrel, I think, like of mixed origin. That's another form of heathern, and it describes most Americans, actually.

I think we have that word, the heathen I mean. In Norwegian it is call "hedning" and it is an old word they used for the non christian viking and we used it in old times for bad children and bad people.

My cousin says I am mixed origin, too. He says we have enough laps in the family... I am not very surprised, most of my mother's family are dark and we have the cheekbones. Most of the northern Norwegian are. I didn't know, so I was so surprised and when he told me I remembered the story you told me too.
    TH 12, 43 years post

I cringe when I turn on the TV here in the US and hear some English person....

I cringe at Piers Morgan because he's a dick.
    I cringe at the man-on-the-street being interviewed on US TV in NYC, as they clasp hold of all their cheap consume electronics and Ralph Loren Polo crap.
    I cringe when watching English people interviewed at soccer matches on Fox Soccer Channel after games.
    I cringe at the Estuary Chavs that infest anything coming out of the UK. Their accents and lazy "innit".

When back to the UK, if I hear any of this anti-US crap, telling me that I have become "Americanized" (like its a bad thing); I flash them my blue passport and thank them for the compliment....tossers.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkB701 View Post
    I cringe when I turn on the TV here in the US and hear some English person....

I cringe at Piers Morgan because he's a dick.
    I cringe at the man-on-the-street being interviewed on US TV in NYC, as they clasp hold of all their cheap consume electronics and Ralph Loren Polo crap.
    I cringe when watching English people interviewed at soccer matches on Fox Soccer Channel after games.
    I cringe at the Estuary Chavs that infest anything coming out of the UK. Their accents and lazy "innit".

When back to the UK, if I hear any of this anti-US crap, telling me that I have become "Americanized" (like its a bad thing); I flash them my blue passport and thank them for the compliment....tossers.

C'mon Mark, stop beating about the bush, just cut to the chase and tell us what you really think.

Quote Originally Posted by Timaru View Post
    C'mon Mark, stop beating about the bush, just cut to the chase and tell us what you really think.

I think that I love you

I just don't "love" Brits who equate being Americanized as always a bad thing. If you don't want to buy copies of CSI or Glee then you don't have to. But if you do buy them, then accept the shift in your language.

Radical Islam hates the Amercianization of their youth in the same way....

Quote Originally Posted by MarkB701 View Post
    I think that I love you

I just don't "love" Brits who equate being Americanized as always a bad thing. If you don't want to buy copies of CSI or Glee then you don't have to. But if you do buy them, then accept the shift in your language.

Radical Islam hates the Amercianization of their youth in the same way....
    I agree (even though you're technically a Scouser) language does move on and will only continue to do so. I've caught myself saying 'Season 6 of Entourage' rather than 'Series 6'. Who gives a shit?

The British can be ridiculously snobbish about Americans while happily dropping French, Italian and German phrases into conversation because it makes them sound clever.

Our own slang culture; the aforementioned 'innit' and 'know what I mean' - superfluous affectations - are a far more annoying blight on language than most of those listed.

I'm partial to the odd dude, muthafucka and beatch.

I do object to young colleagues who try to tell me that authorise, minimise and sympathise are spelt with a z because their Microsoft spellcheck tells them so. That's ignorance, not evolution.
    C5/6 incomplete

"I assume you all have guns and crack....."

Quote Originally Posted by woman from Europe View Post
    LOL, it is good you are teaching me American.

But Jody, what did the last sentence mean
    you mean I speak like a heathen? well once when I was kinda small, I was invited to sunday school along with some of my siblings, and when asked a few things about ourselves, after we answered this one kid said we sounded like a bunch of heathens.

the next time I was asked what religion I was, I said oh im a heathen.
    I thought it was a religion, But the kid was making fun of our way of speaking.

The one that confuses me is when Americans say they are pissed when they mean they are pissed off:

Pissed = very drunk
    Pissed off = angry.

Depending on the context this can be very confusing because when someone says "so I was pissed" it has a completely different meaning on opposite sides of the Atlantic.