Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Life expectancy

Life expectancy

Dr. Wise or others perhaps you can help with the question of how much less SCI people will live then "normal" people. I know the level of injury, general health, and ect. manners come in play however, there should be a general percentage.
    The reason for the question is some of us old SCI people are reaching retirement age thus, we must decide on when to draw Social Security ( 62, 66,70, ect.) If our life expectancy is 8 or 10 years or more years less than the average it will certainly make a difference on when we should retire.
    Again, for this question let's not consider any other factors except age.
    Thanks,
    Semper fi

Hi Semper Fi,
    There is a long thread on this issue that you can search for, but the general answer is that people with SCI have essentially the same life spans as everyone else in the population. Needless to say, there is some variation in those numbers for people with respiratory issues. I do not think it is possible to not consider any other issue than age though, as with the ablebodied population, the choices one makes determines lifespan. Smoking, genetics, excessive alcohol or drug dependency lower life spans for everyone, SCI or not.

Here is a page of references to the various threads on Care Cure Community that speak to life expectancy.
    http://www.google.com/search?q=sci+l...ci.rutgers.edu

All the best,
    GJ

An old number was 15yrs off the end of your life ... my mother's side didn't live past 65 but I seem to be following in my father's genes who all live well into their 90's (grrrrreat).
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

My advice is to retire before you are not able to do those things you want to do if you can afford it. Old age weighs heavily on us.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

Quote Originally Posted by SCIfor55yrs. View Post
    My advice is to retire before you are not able to do those things you want to do if you can afford it. Old age weighs heavily on us.
    Truer words never spoken

Thanks all. I own my own construction Company. My son came in after my accident (2003) to help out and stayed. I am going to turn it over after he is fully trained in all phases. It is hard decision either way. What would you do with your time if you retire look out the window or just read?
    Thanks again,
    Semper fi

That is interesting. If you do not have things lined up, maybe you should keep on working. My problem is that I waited too long and cannot do the traveling and some of the other things I was looking forward to. However, despite that, I am having fun trying to be a playwright/author and do a good bit of volunteer work. Cooking is a favorite hobby, and my wife does not object when I take over the kitchen. I sure do not sit around much.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Semper Fi View Post
    What would you do with your time if you retire look out the window or just read?
    Thanks again,
    Semper fi
    If you're bright enough to run your own construction company you'll never get bored in retirement.

I've lost count of the number of my father's retiree friends who've come out with the line "however did I find the time to work?"

Only the thick get bored!

A lot of the statistics don't count the quality of life just quantity. Would you rather live for 80-100 years with the 40 remaning years with a crappy quality of life?